UTMB held a special Town Hall meeting on Monday, Nov. 16, in the Levin Hall Main Auditorium regarding the implementation of a law approved by the Texas Legislature this year that will permit concealed handguns on Texas public university campuses, effective Aug. 1, 2016.
The purpose of the Town Hall was to explain the new Campus Carry law as it relates to UTMB, communicate implementation recommendations that have been developed in regards to this law as of Nov. 16 and answer questions based on the information available at the time. The Campus Carry Committee continues to look forward to your input about how UTMB can safely and effectively implement the law that has been passed by the Texas Legislature.
Each of the UT System institutions has been directed to establish campus-specific policies for implementing the law, and UTMB’s Campus Carry Committee is developing policies that are appropriate for our campuses and other facilities. The committee will also provide recommendations to the President regarding buildings and grounds, if any, from which firearms should be excluded under the new law.
UPDATE 12/22/2015: The Campus Carry Committee submitted recommendations to the UTMB President on 12/21/2015. The documents are linked in the right sidebar and on the main Campus Carry homepage.
Miss the meeting?
Monday's special meeting was recorded and a webcast is offered below for your review.
Other scheduled meetings
While there are no plans for additional Town Hall meetings, sessions have been and are being held with various groups through 2015. These groups include:
- Monday, Oct. 12: Faculty Senate
- Tuesday, Oct. 13: School of Nursing Faculty
- Thursday, Oct. 15: School of Medicine Chairs
- Thursday, Oct. 15: Student Government Association Officers
- Monday, Oct. 26: Graduate Medical Education Committee
- Monday, Oct. 26: School of Health Professions Faculty
- Thursday, Oct. 29: School of Medicine Educational and Student Affairs
- Monday, Nov. 2: Support Staff Professionals Organization
- Thursday, Nov. 5: Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health
- Wednesday, Nov. 25: Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation
- Monday, Dec. 14: Department of Microbiology and Immunology
If your group or department would like to schedule a Campus Carry presentation, please contact Dr. Michael Ainsworth at email@example.com.