The GEM Prorgram reinforces the principles in the UTMB Professionalism Charter, and it is designed for employees, students and volunteers to recognize each other for their professional behavior and for Going the Extra Mile in their daily activities.How It Works
All of us observe others at UTMB who not only perform their regular job but go above and beyond to help a co-worker or a visitor. An example might be a fellow employee who takes time from the daily routine to assist with a special project or to help a visitor or patient find his or her way around campus.
- When you observe an employee, student or volunteer modeling professionalism or Going the Extra Mile in his or her daily activities, award that person with a paper GEM card or an electronic GEM card. Award one card per occasion.
- GEM cards may be awarded by any UTMB employee student, volunteer, patient or visitor to any employee, student or volunteer.
- Employees, students or volunteers who accumulate three GEM cards may submit them to their supervisor or the appropriate office for entry into an annual drawing to win an award.
- Employees – Submit to immediate supervisor
- Students – Submit to Office of Student Life, Jamail Student Center, Room 2.110
- Volunteers – Submit to Volunteer Services, John Sealy Annex, Room 1.308
Once a person has accumulated three cards, an entry into UTMB's annuual drawing may be submitted on his or her behalf by the supervisor or appropriate office.
- The supervisor or appropriate office must validate the cards by initialing the Validation Line and make copies for the participant's departmental file.
- Each GEM card may be used only one time.
- The supervisor or appropriate office may complete one entry in the online entry system for every three cards submitted by a participant.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the honoree and the supervisor or appropriate office upon submission.
- Winning participants may collect their award at UTMB's annual Employee Service Day ceremony or make other arranagements for pick-up/delivery.
All participants in the drawing will receive an invitation to UTMB's annual Employee Service Day ceremony. This ceremony recognizes employees for achieving significant service milestones as well as our GEM card honorees. Participants do not need to be present at the ceremony to win an award.