UTMB Medical Staff Committees
All committees shall meet as frequently as necessary to discharge their responsibilities, but at least quarterly, except where authorized to meet annually.
Bylaws and Accreditation Committee
This Committee assures that the standards of the Joint
Commission are maintained as they relate to the Medical Staff and makes
recommendations to the Executive Committee on revisions to the Medical
Staff Bylaws and Rules and Regulations.
- Meets at least annually or as needed, meeting dates are set by Chair
- Meeting Coordinator: Christina O'Neal, Medical Staff Services (409-772-5268)
- Current Chair: Alvah Cass, MD, Past Chief of Staff
This Committee reviews and evaluates the qualifications of
physicians and other health care professionals who are requesting or
renewing their clinical privileges as recommended by their departments.
- Meets monthly on the 1st Thursday of each month, 12:00 to 1:00 pm, John Sealy Annex – Conference Rooms JSA 7.134 & 7.136
- Meeting Coordinator: Jasmyn Barnett, Medical Staff Services (409-772-5283)
- Current Chair: Aristides Koutrouvelis, MD, Chief of Staff Elect
Medical Staff Executive Committee
This Committee reviews reports and minutes from the departments,
committees and officers of the Staff concerning patient care, patient
care audit, and other quality activities and the discharge of their
delegated administrative responsibilities.
- Meets monthly on the 2nd Thursday of each month, 12:00 to 1:00 pm, Caduceus Room, 6th floor Administration Bldg.
- Meeting Coordinator: Christina O'Neal and Julie Sinainejad, Medical Staff Services (409-772-1240)
- Current Chair: Rafael Fonseca, MD, Chief of Staff
Quality of Care Committee
This Committee designs, implements and monitors a quality program that integrates all clinical areas including the hospital,
campus-based clinics, community-based primary care and regional
perinatal clinics, the committee provides conventional oversight and
problem resolution support for the UTMB Network Clinical Continuous
Process Improvement Program.
- Meets monthly on the 4th Thursday of each month, 4:00 to 5:30 pm, Jennie Sealy Hospital-Administration Suite Room 2.216Z
- Meeting Coordinator: Sheila Jackson, Quality Management (409-772-2151)
- Current Chair: Gulshan Sharma, MD, Vice President, Chief Medical and Clinical Innovation Officer (VP/CMCIO)
Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee
This Committee is a multi-disciplinary workgroup serving as a
medical staff advisory group for all matters pertaining to the use of
medications within the university with the overarching goal of ensuring
the safe, appropriate, and cost-effective use of pharmaceuticals.
- Meets bimonthly (odd months) on the fourth Monday of the month, 12:00 to 1:30 pm, Jennie Sealy Hospital-Conference Room 2.506A
- Meeting Coordinator: Maryam Bayat, Pharmacy (409) 747-2511
- Current Chair: Bagi Jana, MD
Physician Health and Rehabilitation Committee
This committee investigates and monitors any information on any
practitioner who is impaired or alleged to be impaired; to develop
health educational programs for the medical staff members to increase
awareness; and develop programs that will provide assistance to the
- Meets as needed –via telephone or Rebecca Sealy Hospital, Room 7.408
- Meeting Coordinator: Julie Sinainejad, Medical Staff Services (409-772-1240)
- Current Chair: Edythe Havey, MD
This Committee's mission is to monitor blood utilization and supply in the hospital and in the community.
- Meets every other month on the last Thursday, 12:00 to 1:00 pm, 5.132 CSW
- Meeting Coordinator: Martha Mounts, Laboratory Services (409-772-6553)
- Current Chairs: Aristides Koutrouvelis, MD and Barbara Bryant, MD