Effective March 13, OLLI class schedules will be temporarily curtailed and hopefully completed sometime in the weeks ahead, depending on directives from our community health departments and UTMB Leadership. We sincerely regret this change. Please accept our apologies for your disappointment and inconvenience.
Until further notice, OLLI Suite B101, 4700 Broadway will remain closed to the public, including OLLI members and instructors.
For now, please consider this a temporary extension of classes rather than a cancellation of spring semester. The health, safety, and well-being of OLLI members and instructors is and has always been, our primary priority. In the interest of protecting the health and well-being of all the people and the communities we serve, UTMB Leadership has cancelled or rescheduled any outreach events or activities in the community.
Although we cannot predict the duration of this extension of our semester, we plan to finish spring classes at some point. We ask you to consider this only a temporary break in seeing you in person.
You can read our entire closure announcement here.
What is OLLI? Learning for the love of learning!
Our MissionTo provide a welcoming environment for all those 55 or over through a collaborative program, in semester-length, college level courses. Curriculum is designed by learners to meet specialized interests, capitalize on unique regional resources and environment, and utilize local experts for faculty.
- Most courses meet once a week for two hours and last for eight weeks
- All classes are held in daytime
- Class size ranges from 15 to 150 learners
- Some learners enroll in 3, 4, 5, or more courses
- Generally 2 semesters per year - in spring and fall with special Summer School
- New courses each semester join enduringly popular courses
- Summer School held since 2005!
- 2-hour seminars led by local experts
Special Events and Presentations
- College-level curriculum, taught by experts,
- for those 55 and over
- No credits, exams, grades, or homework
- No previous education required
Extraordinary lectures, seminars, and field trips each semester enhance regularly scheduled classes. Learners and their guests have welcomed internationally acclaimed speakers such as Demetria Martinez novelist, poet, spiritual activist; best-selling authors Steven Pratt, MD and Larry Dossey, MD, respected advocate of mind/body medicine and spirituality in healthcare.
Meet the Learners Participating for the love of learningHundreds of registrants each semester from:
- Diverse cultures and creeds, national origins, socio-economic groups, and levels of formal education
- Men and women from Galveston, Houston, Katy, Clear Lake, Alvin, LaPorte, and far beyond