Coming Soon - OLLI's New Horizon!
OLLI will be welcoming members back for certain activities, while honoring social distancing and safe public health practices. As always, the well-being of OLLI members governs every decision as we re-open. Members, please keep an eye on your email for announcements about summer school activities and plans for fall semester and beyond. We hope you will continue to be a part of the OLLI family as we explore our new horizons!
Since March 13, OLLI class schedules have been temporarily curtailed based on directives from our community health departments and UTMB Leadership. Once again, we apologize for your disappointment and inconvenience. Since that time, we have relocated to 1200 Market Street, on the UTMB Galveston campus, where we’re excited to begin welcoming members back to your new OLLI home.
The health, safety, and well-being of OLLI members and instructors is and has always been, our primary priority. As we venture together into OLLI’s new horizons, we will continue to follow UTMB, State of Texas, and local health district directives.Whether at OLLI or elsewhere, we encourage these UTMB best practices for your good health:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wear a mask
- Avoid close contact with those who are ill.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using regular household cleaner spray or wipes.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
We look forward to welcoming you back to OLLI and hope to soon invite you to participate in OLLI activities at our new location. Please take care and stay safe!
What is OLLI? Learning for the love of learning!
Our MissionTo provide a welcoming environment for all those 55 or over through a collaborative program, in semester-length, college level courses. Curriculum is designed by learners to meet specialized interests, capitalize on unique regional resources and environment, and utilize local experts for faculty.
- Most courses meet once a week for two hours and last for eight weeks
- All classes are held in daytime
- Class size ranges from 15 to 150 learners
- Some learners enroll in 3, 4, 5, or more courses
- Generally 2 semesters per year - in spring and fall with special Summer School
- New courses each semester join enduringly popular courses
- Summer School held since 2005!
- 2-hour seminars led by local experts
Special Events and Presentations
- College-level curriculum, taught by experts,
- for those 55 and over
- No credits, exams, grades, or homework
- No previous education required
Extraordinary lectures, seminars, and field trips each semester enhance regularly scheduled classes. Learners and their guests have welcomed internationally acclaimed speakers such as Demetria Martinez novelist, poet, spiritual activist; best-selling authors Steven Pratt, MD and Larry Dossey, MD, respected advocate of mind/body medicine and spirituality in healthcare.
Meet the Learners Participating for the love of learningHundreds of registrants each semester from:
- Diverse cultures and creeds, national origins, socio-economic groups, and levels of formal education
- Men and women from Galveston, Houston, Katy, Clear Lake, Alvin, LaPorte, and far beyond