Global web ALERT button

News and Events

The Sealy Center on Aging supports a number of events related to research, education, and community service throughout the year focusing on improving the health and well-being of the elderly. Follow @UTMB_SCoA on Twitter and visit our Facebook Page for announcements.

News Archive

Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting

Nov 21, 2019, 14:39 PM by Sealy Center on Aging
Researchers, including several students attended the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of American November 13-17, 2019. 

photo of man and woman in front of scientific posterAmong those presenting were Dr. Brian Downer from the Division of Rehabilitation Sciences and medical student Viridiana Saenz. When asked about his experience at GSA, Dr. Downer said, "I have been attending GSA since 2011 and cannot imagine missing this meeting. My favorite part of GSA is the wide variety of research that is presented. GSA is the only meeting I know of where I can attend sessions on Hispanic aging, epidemiology of Alzheimer’s disease, as well as health services research on post-acute and long-term care."

Dr. Kimberly Hreha said about her experience, "I went to the Vision and Eye Health Interest Group’s first meeting. It is a new group and I was invited to attend by my mentor from Duke. During the meeting, we changed the scope of the interest group to include all sensory health (so not only vision but hearing too, for example). We discussed ideas for next year’s conference, including symposium focused around sensory health and aging across all "tracks" at GSA. It was great and I am excited to collaborate with aging researchers who have similar interests as me."

Student/trainee posters & presentations:

Poster 378: "An Examination of Sarcopenia in an Inpatient Geriatric Population," was presented by Matthew Scholl.

Poster 427: "Association of Vision and Hearing Impairment on Life Space Mobility Among Older Mexican-Americans," was presented by Viridiana Saenz Monsivais. 

Poster 328: "Post Discharge Walking Activity and 30-Day Readmission in Older Adults," was presented by Noah Kemp.

Poster 332: "The Effect of Social Support on Quality of Life of Persons with Cognitive Impairment," was presented by Wilma Afunugo.

A presentation, "Pain Among Older Mexicans: Findings From the Mexican Health and Aging Study," was given by Sadaf Milani.

Poster 259, "A 20-Year Cohort Study of Living Arrangements and Cognitive Decline in the Mexican American Population," was presented by Phillip Cantu.

Visit our Facebook page to watch a video about UTMB at GSA 2019.

Current Events

Annual Events