- Submit a properly completed Application for Admission. Applicants must apply using the online application by visiting the Office of Enrollment Services Prospective Students link.
- Submit the appropriate application fee, as indicated by the application site processing your application. (UTMB Internal Application, SOPHAS, AMCAS, BioMedCAS, etc.)
- You must submit official transcripts processing of your application data. (International applicants - please see #5 below for correct procedure.) If sending transcripts directly to the Office of Enrollment Services, please note that it is mandatory that official transcripts be sent electronically via SPEEDE or other electronic means if your school has this capability. Click here for a listing of these participating schools. If applying through SOPHAS, BioMedCAS, AMCAS, etc., follow the instructions provided at those sites for submitting a transcript.
- If applicable, request that an official copy of scores earned on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) be submitted to Enrollment Services if applying internally. If applying through SOPHAS, BioMedCAS, AMCAS, etc., follow the instructions provided at those sites.
Candidates for admission to the Graduate School must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States or proof of equivalent degree and training from an acceptable foreign institution of higher education. An applicant who holds a graduate degree or first professional degree (e.g., MD, DDS, JD) from a regionally and programmatically accredited college or university in the United States or proof of equivalent degree and training from an acceptable foreign institution of higher education may be considered on an individual basis even though he or she does not hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent as defined above.
Final recommendation by the graduate program faculty will be based on competitive evaluation of the qualifications of the applicant plus consideration of the availability of space and resources. Each graduate program has specific requirements, but common factors considered by the admissions committee include the following:
- undergraduate overall and upper division grade point average and, if applicable, graduate grade point average and the appropriateness of the curriculum as preparation for graduate study. (There is no minimum required GPA, but a cumulative undergraduate GPA above 3.0 on a 4 point scale is preferred.);
- a minimum score on the TOEFL of 550 (paper), 213 (computer-based), or 80 (internet-based) or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS for applicants whose native language is not English;
- research or other relevant experience;
- letters of reference;
- background for and commitment to a career of scholarly endeavor in the field of study;
- availability of opportunity for training in the desired field of scholarship;
- unique educational, career, or life experiences;
- personal statement.
- The GRE is not required, except for the Master in Medical Humanities
- International Applicant Information:
Effective with the Fall 2012 entry term, applicants from international institutions must use one of the credentialing services approved by UTMB to provide a verification and a course by course evaluation of transcripts in order to be able to be considered for admission to programs at UTMB. Applicants are no longer required to send official transcripts from the issuing institution to UTMB since we are now utilizing these services.
The following are the Credentialing Services approved by UTMB:
World Education Services, Inc.
PO Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745
1 (800) 937–3895 ext. 316