This program aims to recruit outstanding graduate students to all of our Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences programs. The most outstanding candidates for this highly competitive program receive substantial financial supplements to the normal graduate salary.
Each year, up to five (5) incoming students are selected to join the prestigious program.
Each scholar will receive:
- a $5,000 annual supplement above the normal graduate salary for up to 5 years of study,
- a one-time $3,000 amount to defray relocation and initial housing costs, and
- designation as a Presidential scholar
Applicants need not apply directly for this program; GSBS PhD applications are automatically considered for a scholarship. Applicants with excellent GPAs and research experience may be nominated during the admissions process in one of three ways:
- by the Admissions Committee of an individual program
- by the Presidential Scholars Steering Committee
- by an individual faculty member
Nominees’ completed application, letters of recommendation and interview evaluations will be reviewed, and awardees selected, by the faculty Steering Committee that has representation from each of the GSBS programs. Presidential Scholarships will be accepted on a rolling basis but emphasis will be placed on recruiting outstanding applicants in January and February. Scholar selections are subject to final approval by the UTMB President, Provost and Dean of the Graduate School.