International Medical Graduates
- The OB-GYN Residency Program at the UTMB accepts foreign medical graduates.
- There is no minimum USMLE score requirement, however, current resident USMLE Step 1 scores average 240 and USMLE Step 2 scores average 250.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates www.ecfmg.org.
- Have an ECFMG sponsored J-1 visa. Please refer to the UTMB Office of International Affairs for international medical graduate requirements.
Resident Eligibility and Selection
Selection criteria are consistent with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) General Requirements and The University of Texas Medical Branch Human Resources policies (pdf) on IHOP 3.2.1 Nondiscrimination, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. The Residency Program does not discriminate with regard to race, color, religion, national origin, handicap, veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, sex, or age.
A team of faculty reviews applicant documents and grants interviews based on ability, aptitude, academic record, and personal qualities such as motivation, ethical standards, and integrity. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by e-mail and given an opportunity to choose.
Guidelines for pursuing a Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
(from the Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG))