LOI Deadline: Wednesday, March 1, 2023
The NIH-funded UTMB Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center (P30 AG024832) encourages investigators at UTMB to submit pilot research proposals for translational aging research on physical function and recovery from illness in older
adults. Proposals from basic science, clinical trials, patient-centered outcomes, population health, and any other area of translational research (T1-T4) are welcome.
High-priority areas of research include but are not limited to:
- Geroscience and basic mechanisms of aging
- Interventions to improve function and recovery from illness
- Resiliency and functional reserve
- Health disparities and health equity
The purpose of this pilot funding is to support aging-related
research that will realistically lead to external funding. Pilot awardees will have access to research resources provided by the biostatistics and data management core, clinical research core, and metabolism and biology core. Projects will be funded
for one year (07/01/2023 – 06/30/2024), with total annual direct costs not to exceed $50,000. If applicable, approval by UTMB’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) or Institutional Review Board (IRB) is required by the pilot
Proposals are encouraged from all investigators interested in initiating studies on aging.
The pilot proposal selection will follow a 2-step process:
- Step 1: Letter of Intent & Biosketch – Interested investigators should
write a brief letter of intent describing in one page or less their research idea, the relevance to the Pepper Center theme, and how this idea would lead to external funding in aging. Letters & biosketches can be submitted to Stephanie Burt (Pepper
OAIC Administrator) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. o Deadline for receipt of the letter of intent and biosketch is Wednesday, March 1, 2023. o Letters of Intent will be evaluated by the Pepper Executive Committee, and those selected will be asked
to submit a full proposal.
- Step 2: Full Proposal –If selected to submit a full proposal, a 5-page proposal in NIH format will be required outlining your research plan. If requested, a research mentor and biostatistician can be assigned
to assist with the development of the proposal.
- Deadline for receipt of the full proposal is Friday, April 14, 2023.
- Full proposals will be evaluated by the Pilot Review Committee, comprised of UTMB Pepper Center leaders and experts in the field,
and at least one independent external reviewer with specific expertise in the area of the pilot application.
Please feel free to share this announcement with your colleagues.
Questions should be
sent to Stephanie Burt, by phone: at (409) 266-9675 or by e-mail: at email@example.com.
The UTMB Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center is funded by NIH grant #P30 AG024832.