« Back

Fleet Services: FAQs

Q. What are the hours of operation of Fleet Services?
A. 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Q. Who can operate university vehicles?
A. Only UTMB employees may operate university-owned vehicles, vehicles leased from Fleet Services, or vehicles rented from private rental agencies for university use.

Q. What does “UTMB employees” include?
A. For purposes of vehicle assignment, a UTMB employee is defined as “any individual working for the state for wages or salary.” This can include part-time employees, visiting faculty paid by stipend, or students if they are on our payroll.

Q. May I lease a UTMB vehicle while my car is in the shop?
A. No. University vehicles may only be operated for university business.

Q. My department just bought a new university vehicle. How do I go about getting insurance on it?
A. Newly acquired university-owned vehicles are automatically insured with liability insurance when they are titled to the university.

Q. How do I get comprehensive and collision insurance for my department's new
university vehicle?
A. Please call Fleet Services, ext. 78024.

Q. If I rent a vehicle for university business, should I purchase the Collision Damage
Waiver or liability coverage they always try to sell you?
A. No. State policy does not allow reimbursement for this type of expense (except for certain rental situations in foreign countries). The state's own automobile insurance provides liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage for commercial vehicles rented by employees for less than 30 days for official university business.

Q. I had an automobile accident while on university time. What should I do?
A. You should do two things right away. First, notify the appropriate law enforcement agency. Second, notify Fleet Services, ext. 26428, as soon as possible.