Department & Graduate Program Faculty
Phone: (281) 602-9911
2012 – PhD in Computer Science, University of Houston, Houston, Texas
2005 – BS in Computer science, Odesa National Polytechnic University, Odesa, Ukraine
2002 – Associate in Computer science, Technical School of Industrial Automatics, Odesa, Ukraine
Expert in bioinformatics, genomics and computational biology with a
particular interest in microbiomes, environmental metagenomics, and
human, animal, and plant RNA and DNA sequencing and analysis. Specific
areas of research include the development of new methods for the
analysis and interpretation of high throughput DNA sequencing data, as
well as new statistical and computational tools for its rapid analysis.
Application of the DNA\RNA high throughput sequencing and design of the
analytical tools and pipeline focusing on translational research in
precision medicine. Other research interests are centered on
investigating relationships among environmental exposures, the
microbiome, genetic, and genomic biomarkers, combined with electronic
health records to determine how they contribute to health outcomes in
- Nia, A., Khanipov, K., & Golovko, G. (2020). 4462 Effects of Injectable, Erythropoietin and Glucocorticoids Combinational Therapy on Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate Following Spinal Cord Injury. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, 4(s1), 48-48.
- Sholler, D. J., Merritt, C. R., Davis-Reyes, B. D., Golovko, G., Anastasio, N. C., & Cunningham, K. A. (2020). Inherent Motor Impulsivity Associates with Specific Gene Targets in the Rat Medial Prefrontal Cortex. Neuroscience.
- Albayrak, L., Khanipov, K., Golovko, G., & Fofanov, Y. (2019). Broom: application for non-redundant storage of high throughput sequencing data. Bioinformatics, 35(1), 143-145.
- Albayrak, L., Khanipov, K., Golovko, G., & Fofanov, Y. (2018). Detection of multi-dimensional co-exclusion patterns in microbial communities. Bioinformatics, 34(21), 3695-3701.
- Zhao, Y., Chen, F., Wu, W., Sun, M., Bilotta, A. J., Yao, S., . . . Golovko, G. (2018). GPR43 mediates microbiota metabolite SCFA regulation of antimicrobial peptide expression in intestinal epithelial cells via activation of mTOR and STAT3. Mucosal immunology, 11(3), 752-762.
- Khanipov, K., Golovko, G., Rojas, M., Albayrak, L., Dobretsberger, O., Pimenova, M., . . . Fofanov, Y. (2015). CoCo: An application to store High-Throughput Sequencing data in compact text and binary file formats. Paper presented at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM).
- Rojas, M., Golovko, G., Khanipov, K., Albayrak, L., Chumakov, S., Pettitt, B. M., . . . Fofanov, Y. (2015). Secondary analysis of the NCI-60 whole exome sequencing data indicates significant presence of propionibacterium acnes genomic material in leukemia (RPMI-8226) and central nervous system (SF-295, SF-539, and SNB-19) cell lines. PloS one, 10(6), e0127799.
- Miller, A. L., Geng, C., Golovko, G., Sharma, M., Schwartz, J. R., Yan, J., . . . Vedeckis, W. V. (2014). Epigenetic alteration by DNA-demethylating treatment restores apoptotic response to glucocorticoids in dexamethasone-resistant human malignant lymphoid cells. Cancer cell international, 14(1), 35.
- Golovko, G., Khanipov, K., Rojas, M., Martinez-Alcántara, A., Howard, J. J., Ballesteros, E., . . . Fofanov, Y. (2012). Slim-Filter: an interactive windows-based application for Illumina genome analyzer data assessment and manipulation. BMC bioinformatics, 13(1), 166.
- Widger, W., Golovko, G., Martinez, A., Ballesteros, E., Howard, J., Xu, Z., . . . Bradburne, C. (2011). Longitudinal metagenomic analysis of the water and soil from Gulf of Mexico beaches affected by the Deep Water Horizon oil spill. Nature Precedings, 1-1.