Can We Talk? Addressing Poor Behavior - April 11, 2018
The UTMB Professionalism Committee hosted another workshop on on April 11, 2018. The FY18 series has been offered to targeted audiences and this one was for supervisors and managers. The workshop included having a second cup of coffee conversation when unprofessional behavior becomes a pattern, the importance of documentation, involving Human Resources as escalation advances, and applying SBI (situation, impact and behavior). The overall objective is to provide feedback, raise awareness and provide an opportunity for improvement
The sessions employ many of the principles used by the Vanderbilt Center for Patient and Professional Advocacy for having a cup of coffee conversation. The training objectives are:
1. Describe the consequences of failing to address poor behavior in the workplace.
2. Recognize the purpose and intended outcome of the "Cup of Coffee" conversation.
3. Apply recommended techniques to stay focused on the message and respond to push-back behavior.
4. Identify opportunities to engage in Cup of Coffee conversations to encourage personal insight and self-improvement.
Can We Talk? Addressing Poor Behavior - High Points
5. Understand when to escalate from an informal conversation to progressive disciplinary action.
Can We Talk? Addressing Poor Behavior - Narrated