About Our Program
The General Psychiatry Program at UTMB Health is a four-year program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Our goal is to train general psychiatrists by means of strong clinic experience and a systematic exposure to relevant knowledge from biological, psychological and social sciences. Special effort has been devoted to achieving a well-balanced program integrating theoretical learning and clinical experiences. As a university-based program in a large public/private hospital system UTMB provides a solid core of knowledge and a scientific framework as well as the number and variety of patients for a full range of clinical experiences. A standing Curriculum Committee, on which residents sit as full members, introduces revisions and changes to improve education and training. Each resident can be assured that by the end of the program, all of the experiences for Board Certification will have been provided.
PGY-1 Application Requirements:
- Must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
- Completed Medical School no more than 10 years before applying
- Cannot have any length of prior residency training in any specialty
- Clinical experience is not required
- Must have taken and passed USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK & CS or COMPLEX Level 1 and Level 2CE, within three (3) attempts per step/level and have taken COMPLEX 2 PE, by time of application.
- Must meet all of the Texas Medical Board (TMB) Requirements to be able to receive a Physician in Training Permit (PIT) by the start of PGY-1
- Foreign medical graduates must be ECFMG certified
- The only Visas accepted institutionally are J1 Visas