Student Help: Reporting Unprofessional Behavior
and Mistreatment

What to do if you see or experience unprofessional behavior Follow the instructions outlined in your course syllabus for reporting such concerns and complaints. If directions for reporting unprofessional behavior are not outlined in your course syllabus, you are encouraged to contact your course coordinator or departmental program advisor.

Examples of unprofessional behavior and mistreatment may include*:

  • Verbal abuse, such as public belittlement or humiliation of a student or fellow team member
  • Being threatened with physical harm or being physically punished
  • Abuse of power over another person on the health care team. This can include interactions with a faculty physician, nurse or a technician, or mistreatment of a patients.
  • Being required to perform personal services (e.g., shopping, babysitting)
  • Being subjected to offensive remarks/names because of your race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
  • Receiving lower evaluations or grades solely because of your gender, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation rather than your performance
  • Being denied opportunities for training or rewards solely because of your gender, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation rather than your performance
  • Sexual harassment (e.g., unwanted sexual advances, offensive sexist remarks/names directed at you personally)
  • Discussing confidential information about a patient in an inappropriate setting
  • Discriminatory treatment of a patient (or another person) due to that person's economic status, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation
  • Cheating
  • Additional student resources are available to help you:

    Ombudsman services are available to help you with academic and non-academic concerns, questions and complaints (e.g., fee payment, housing, financial aid, grades, professors, parking and other university-related issues). An ombudsman is a neutral third party, and confidentiality is ensured. The Student Ombudsman Office is located in Suite 2.110, Lee Hage Jamail Student Center, (409) 747-4820. Visit for more details.

    Additional details on student non-academic grievance procedures can be found in the UTMB Handbook of Operating Procedures.

    Note: Discrimination, sexual harassment and sexual assault are crimes that should be brought to the attention of your school's Student Affairs Dean and the Human Resources - Employee Relations. You are also encouraged to notify Campus Police at ext. 21111. Call 911 in the event of an emergency

    Spill is a nationwide peer support network made OF and FOR college students. You can vent here, confidentially, about whatever is bothering you. Within 24-48 hours, we'll give you feedback from a handful of trained peers who can relate to your problem.

    Private Psychotherapists, Counselors and Psychiatrists, for Children,
    Adults, Couples & Families

    There are many private practitioners in the Galveston area. Look in under "counseling" for a directory of service provider listings. You may ask is they will accept insurance, and are on managed care panels. The UTMB Department of Psychiatry at (409) 772-0770 provides both private and sliding-scale services. Some off-campus practitioners offer a discount to UTMB students; please contact Student Counseling for information.

    Sliding Fee Scale Mental Health Services
    Gulf Coast Center substance abuse treatment, (409) 762-5935
    Family Service Association, (409) 762-8636, Offices in Galveston and Texas City . Children, families, couples & adults.
    UTMB Department of Psychiatry, (409) 772-0770, All ages.
    Depelchin Children's Center, League City (281) 282-6062, Children & families

    Women's Resource and Crisis Center
    A resource for individuals (women and men) who are seeking refuge from abusive relationships, or who have been the victim of abuse or violence. Temporary shelter available. 24-hour crisis hotline. Galveston/Bolivar (409) 765-SAFE, mainland Galveston County (888) 919-SAFE. WRCC welcomes donations of clothing and household good for their thrift stores, which help support their services, they welcome volunteer help as well, call their administrative office at (409)  763-1441 for information.

    Student Mental Health - A guide to Identifying Disorders and Promoting Wellness

    Financial Advising
    UTMB Enrollment Services (Financial Aid): always the first place to start. Located in Jamail Student Center. Visit their website or call (409) 747-9508 for information.

    Consumer Credit Counseling Service will help you with solutions to getting your finances back into shape. Call them at (800) 873-2227 or visit their website.