Are you interested in earning a PhD in the biomedical sciences, but desire additional research training before applying to graduate school?
This certificate program is for academically talented post-baccalaureate individuals from groups underrepresented in the sciences who are highly motivated to pursue a PhD and desire additional research experience and career skills training prior to applying
to PhD programs. It is designed to immerse students in a top tier research environment coupled with multi-level mentoring and academic skills activities to enhance scholar’s competitiveness for graduate school. Scholars must have completed their
BS degree less than 3 years before entering this certificate program.
Program Start Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2023
All positions for the 2023-2024 year have been filled.
Advantages of Advanced Biomedical Training
Median earnings for doctoral trained individuals is ~1.5X that for a bachelor's level and ~1.3 fold higher than that for a MS level. This is a significant enhancement in lifetime earnings.
Research in biomedical science is working on the future of medicine. This is a great career if you want to have a big impact on people and their health. You can work in a number of different venues:
- Academic institutions
- Pharmaceutical & biotech industry
- State and federal governments
- Law offices
- Publishing and communications companies
- Financial institutions
Experience personal and professional growth & a great career:
- Interact with scientists across the country and around the world
- Travel the world to attend meetings and conferences
- Pursue your own ideas and explore the unknown Every Day!
Features of the PREP
One year program for US residents:
- Provides a full year salary in an active research lab with full health benefits.
- Provides enrichment activities to build skills and confidence to succeed at the doctoral level.
- Allows students to develop a research project under the guidance of an established faculty member.
- Provides a multiple-layer supportive mentored environment for each student, including peer mentors as an integral component.
- Incorporates an individual student development plan that uses novel interactive activities to engage students and help them in realistic goal setting.
- provides assistance for application to any national graduate program
- Provides assistance for application to PhD programs.
- Provides academic skills and research integrity training.
Advising in the PREP
Students will receive personalized advice and guidance while they are in the program.
- Students meet with the PREP Directors every term.
- Students are matched with a graduate student who will be their "peer mentor".
- The PREP Directors are available to meet with PREP students to help with any issues or problems that may arise during the program
- The PREP coordinator handles day-to-day issues and is available to direct students to the extensive resources for students on the UTMB campus
For further information and application materials, please contact: