Foot & Ankle Surgery
Dr. Chen's areas of expertise include:
Ankle sprains and instability
Ankle arthritis including ankle arthrodesis and arthroplasty
Achilles tendon injuries
Foot and ankle nerve entrapment
Ligament and tendon tears
- Fellowships: Martin Allgӧwer AO Trauma Traveling Fellowship, Chur, Switzerland, 2021
- Duke University Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship, 2019-2020
- Residency: University of Texas Medical Branch Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School: University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Undergraduate: Duke University
ABOS Board Eligible
Texas Medical Board
- Academic Orthopaedic Consortium - Member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Candidate Member
- American Orthopaedic Association Emerging Leaders Program - Member
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society - Candidate Member
- AOTrauma - Member
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association - Member
- Piedmont Orthopaedic Society - Member
- Texas Orthopaedic Association - Member
- Roger A. Mann Award Nomination, AOFAS 2021
- Martin Allgӧwer Memorial Fellowship - AO Trauma traveling fellowship, 2020
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association (MAOA) Fellow Education Grant, 2020
- UTMB Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Outstanding Overall Resident, 2019
- C. McCollister Evarts Resident Leadership Forum Nominee (AOA), 2018
- UTMB Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Golden Bone Teaching Award, 2017
- UTMB Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Lockhart Award, 2017
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Resident Scholarship Program, 2017
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Resident Assembly Program Delegate, 2017
- UTMB Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Outstanding Resident (PGY1), 2015
- UNC School of Medicine Graduating Student of the Year in Orthopaedic Surgery, 2014
- Carolina Medical Student Research Program Grant, 2010
- AOFAS Resident Scholar Mentor, 2021-current
- AOFAS Public Education Committee, 2021-current
- AOFAS Annual Meeting Abstract Reviewer, 2021
- Co-founder of The Orthotalk Podcast, 2020-current
- AOFAS Young Physicians Committee, 2020-current
- UTMB Orthopaedic Surgery Social Media Committee – Chair, 2020-current
- UTMB Orthopaedic Surgery Marketing Committee - Chair, 2020-current
- UTMB Orthopaedic Surgery Interview Process Committee, 2020-current
- UTMB Orthopaedic Residency Program Evaluation Committee, 2017-current
- Reviewer - BioMed Research International, 2021
- Reviewer - Clinical Anatomy, 2020
- Reviewer - Foot and Ankle Specialist, 2018-2020
- Reviewer - Cureus, 2019
- AAOS, Resident assembly delegate, 2017-2019
- AAOS, Resident research committee member, 2017-2019
- UNC School of Medicine Sports Medicine Interest Group founder and president, 2011
- Khalid MA, Verma A, Kazan O, Chen J. Twitter use among orthopaedic surgery journals correlates with increased citation rates. Orthopedics. 2021 (In press).
- Chen J, Kadakia R, Akoh CC, Schweitzer KM. Management of anterior tibialis tendon ruptures. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2021;29(16):691-701.Akoh CC, Chen J, Adams SB. Total ankle total talus replacement using a 3D printed talus component: A case report. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2020 (In press)
- Hagedorn JC, Chen J, Weiss WM, Fredrickson SW, Faillace JJ. Interviewing in the wake of Covid-19: How orthopaedic residencies, fellowships, and applicants should prepare for virtual interviews. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2021;29(7):271-277.
- Kadakia RJ, Orland KJ, Sharma A, Akoh CC, Chen J, Parekh SG. Medical malpractice trends in foot and ankle surgery. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. June 2021. Epub ahead of print.
- Akoh CC, Chen J, Kadakia R, Park YU, Kim H, Adams SB. Adverse events involving hallux metatarsophalangeal joint implants: analysis of the United States Food and Drug Administration from 2010 to 2018. Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2021;27(4):381-388.
- Akoh CC, Fletcher A, Chen J, Wang J, Adams SB, DeOrio JK, Nunley JA, Easley ME. Economic analysis and clinical outcomes of outpatient short-stay versus inpatient total ankle replacement surgery. Foot and Ankle International. 2021;42(1):96-106.
- Kadakia R, Akoh CC, Chen J, Sharma A, Parekh S. 3D printed total talus replacement for avascular necrosis of the talus. Foot and Ankle International. 2020;41(12):1529-1536.
- Adamson P, Janney C, Chen J, Panchbhavi VK. First metatarsal phalangeal joint arthrodesis without the use of hardware after failed arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports. 2020. In press.
- Akoh CC, Chen J, Adams SB. Total ankle total talus replacement using a 3D printed talus component: A case report. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2020;59(6):1306-1312.
- Chen J, Yassi UA, Warren BJ, Black NR, Britt MW. A rare case of proximal tibia intraosseous hemangioma treated with en bloc resection and total knee arthroplasty. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2020 (In press)
- Chen J, Black NR, Morris R, Panchbhavi VK. Biomechanical comparison of a novel method of tricortical kirschner wire fixation of distal chevron osteotomies of the first metatarsal versus traditional kirschner wire and versus screw fixation. Foot and Ankle Specialist.2020; Oct. Epub ahead of print.
- Chen J, Sagoo NS, Panchbhavi VK. The Lisfranc injury: a literature review of anatomy, etiology, evaluation, and management. Foot and Ankle Specialist. 2020; Aug. Epub ahead of print.
- Chen J, Sharma A, Akoh CC, Kadakia R, Parekh S. Clinical safety and
efficacy of a novel ultrasound assisted bioabsorbable suture anchor.
Foot and Ankle International. 2020;41(9): 1073-1078.
- Mococain P, Bejarano-Pineda L, Glisson R, Kadakia R, Akoh C, Chen J,
Nunley J, Easley ME. Biomechanical effect on joint stability of
including deltoid ligament repair in bimalleolar equivalent ankle
fracture treatment. Foot and Ankle International. 2020;41(9): 1158-1164.
IFFAS highlighted article August 2020
- Chen J, Akoh CC, Kadakia R, Somerson JS, Easley ME, Adams SB, DeOrio JK, Nunley JA. Analysis of 408 total ankle arthroplasty adverse events reported to the US Food and Drug Administration from 2015-2018. Foot and Ankle Specialist. 2020; May. (Epub ahead of print)
- Cordova J, Janney C, Chen J, Panchbhavi VK. Does hallux valgus correction reduce the width of the forefoot? Foot and Ankle Specialist. 2020;13(2):112-115.
- El Beaino M, Chen J, Hagedorn JC. A novel technique to prevent distal anterior femoral cortical perforation. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2019;30(2):170-174.
- Chen J, Osadebey EN, Maassen NH. Conservative and operative treatment in the setting of simultaneous bilateral humerus fractures. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2018;29(6):608-610.
- Chen J, Panchbhavi VK. Lisfranc injuries. Basics to Advanced in Foot and Ankle Surgery. Salubris Medical Publishers. (2021)
- Chen J, Akoh CC, Kadakia R, Adams SB. Risk Factors for Failure of Primary Total Ankle Replacement. Primary and Revision Total Ankle Replacement: Evidence-Based Surgical Management. 2nd ed. 77-84. (2021)
- Chen J, DeOrio JK, Valderrabano V, Easley ME. Vantage Total Ankle Arthroplasty. Operative Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery. 3rd ed. (2021)
- Chen J, Black NR, Morris RP, Panchbhavi VK. Foot and Ankle Anatomy. Synopsis of Foot and Ankle Surgery. (In press)
- Akoh CC, Chen J, Easley ME, Amendola A. Foot and Ankle Injuries in Basketball. Basketball Sports Medicine and Science. 445-457. (2020)
Podium Presentations - 8
Poster Presentations - 16
Lectures - 5