Elective Orthopaedic Surgical Rotations
UTMB medical students, both on-campus or away, electing to do an Acting Internship (A/I) in orthopaedics can enroll through the the SOM website: Orthopaedic Surgery SOM Electives.
Current Orthopaedic surgical rotation assignments:
- ORSU-4405 - Orthopaedics Clinic Only, League City Campus - Jeremy Somerson, MD
- ORSU-4406 - Hospital Based Orthopaedics - John C. Hagedorn, MD
- ORSU-4012 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - Pelvis/Hip/Knee - Kelly Stephenson, MD
- ORSU-4013 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - Pediatric - David A. Yngve, M.D.
- ORSU-4015 - Orthopedics Clinic Only, Galveston - Jeremy Somerson, M.D.
- ORSU-4017 - Orthopaedic Research - Zbigniew Gugala, MD, PhD
- ORSU-4018 - A/I in Orthopedic Surgery - Foot and Ankle - Vinod K. Panchbhavi, MD
- ORSU-4019 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - TDC/Trauma - John C. Hagedorn, MD
- ORSU-4021 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - Spine - Edward Southern, MD
- ORSU-4025 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - Hand/Upper Extremity - John Faillace, MD
- ORSU-4026 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - Shoulder and Elbow - Jeremy Somerson, MD
- ORSU-4027 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - General Ortho/Ortho Trauma - Mark A. Foreman, MD
- ORSU-4028 - A/I in Orthopaedic Surgery - Sports Medicine - Robert Lindeman, MD
MS3 students can rotate in Orthopaedic Surgery on the following services: Pedi, Foot & Ankle, Trauma, and Pelvis/Hip/Knee, Hand/Upper Extremity, Sports Medicine, Knee/Shoulder and Spine.
Please direct all inquiries to the Surgical Clerkship Coordinator, Tekeema Franklin (409) 772-0676
Visiting Medical Student Rotations in Orthopaedic Surgery
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation encourages medical students from other U.S. institutions to participate in a visiting rotation. Students in their final year of medical school may apply to take an elective at UTMB through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS). Those electives include any of the orthopaedic surgery rotations listed above. General information, eligibility requirements, and documentation is available through the Office of Enrollment Services.
The Orthopaedic Student Society
The Orthopaedic Student Society (OSS) allows interested students to learn more about the field of orthopaedics and build connections on campus. The goal of the OSS is to hold informational meetings where faculty with various specializations, residents, and researchers come to address topics in orthopaedics. Additional information can be found on Facebook "UTMB Orthopaedic Student Society."