The Academy of Master Clinicians (AMC) at UTMB Health
Excellence in clinical care is one of the major missions, priorities, and strategic plan of UTMB. Our exceptional and gifted clinicians are leaders and innovators in their fields and specialties across clinical departments. With changing healthcare policies and regulatory pressures at the regional and national levels, there are surmounting challenges in maintaining excellence in clinical care. Newer innovative strategies are direly needed toward maintaining patient-centric care and developing clinical leaders for the future. At UTMB, we are grateful to our outstanding clinicians who consistently epitomize the highest standards of clinical care to our patients with skill, expertise, experience, compassion, and efficiency. A new program, The Academy of Master Clinicians (AMC) supported by institutional funding was inaugurated in 2014 as a major initiative to recognize and celebrate the contributions of our clinicians while simultaneously strengthening our commitment toward providing leadership in patient care for the future.
The AMC recognizes and promotes distinction in all clinical domains by fostering excellence in patient-centric care, with a commitment to developing future leaders through the tenets of the art of healing, empathy, education, scientific rigor, professionalism, mentorship and collaborative team work.
- Demonstrating and exemplifying the highest levels of ethics and professionalism
- Demonstrating attributes (trust, accountability, and stewardship) of a supportive and collaborative team player
- Providing superior care to all patients (safe, effective, patient-centered, culturally congruent, timely, efficient, and evidence-based) in an equitable manner without favor or prejudice and being a strong patient advocate
- Demonstrating compassion and empathy toward patients and their families
- Elevating the performance of colleagues, coworkers, and trainees through education, role-modeling, and mentoring
- Striving for continuing quality improvement and outcomes as measured by standard benchmarks
Membership in the Academy of Master Clinicians will be the highest clinical recognition and honor for UTMB clinicians, and is a commitment to leadership in exceptional patient care.
The Academy of Master Clinicians is proud to announce its inaugural Clinician of the Month for February 2017:
Sunil Jain, MD
Professor of Pediatrics and Obstetrics
Department of Pediatrics/Division of Neonatology
Dr. Jain is a role model to students, not only in his abilities as an outstanding physician, but his compassion for his patients and their families. He continuously goes out of his way in order to give the students and residents knowledge in an encouraging way. It is rare to find an attending physician that asks you questions to test your knowledge without adding the pressure that you must always have the correct answer. He will tell you that many people have helped him along the way to his becoming a physician and he feels it is his turn to help others in whichever way he can.