The Academy of Master Clinicians (AMC) at UTMB Health
Excellence in clinical care is one of the major missions, priorities, and strategic plan of UTMB. Our exceptional and gifted clinicians are leaders and innovators in their fields and specialties across clinical departments. With changing healthcare policies and regulatory pressures at the regional and national levels, there are surmounting challenges in maintaining excellence in clinical care. Newer innovative strategies are direly needed toward maintaining patient-centric care and developing clinical leaders for the future. At UTMB, we are grateful to our outstanding clinicians who consistently epitomize the highest standards of clinical care to our patients with skill, expertise, experience, compassion, and efficiency. A new program, The Academy of Master Clinicians (AMC) supported by institutional funding was inaugurated in 2014 as a major initiative to recognize and celebrate the contributions of our clinicians while simultaneously strengthening our commitment toward providing leadership in patient care for the future.
The AMC recognizes and promotes distinction in all clinical domains by fostering excellence in patient-centric care, with a commitment to developing future leaders through the tenets of the art of healing, empathy, education, scientific rigor, professionalism, mentorship and collaborative team work.
- Demonstrating and exemplifying the highest levels of ethics and professionalism
- Demonstrating attributes (trust, accountability, and stewardship) of a supportive and collaborative team player
- Providing superior care to all patients (safe, effective, patient-centered, culturally congruent, timely, efficient, and evidence-based) in an equitable manner without favor or prejudice and being a strong patient advocate
- Demonstrating compassion and empathy toward patients and their families
- Elevating the performance of colleagues, coworkers, and trainees through education, role-modeling, and mentoring
- Striving for continuing quality improvement and outcomes as measured by standard benchmarks
Membership in the Academy of Master Clinicians will be the highest clinical recognition and honor for UTMB clinicians, and is a commitment to leadership in exceptional patient care.
The Academy of Master Clinicians is proud to announce its Clinician of the Month for July 2017:
Victor S. Sierpina, MD
Department of Family Medicine
Dr. Sierpina currently holds the W.D. and Laura Neil Nicholson Family Endowed Professorship in Integrative Medicine in Family Medicine and is internationally known for his cutting edge research and program implementation in Integrative Medicine. Dr. Sierpina is also Director of the department’s Medical School Education Program and the Faculty Development Program. He is a University of Texas Distinguished Teaching Professor. His career speaks to excellence in teaching, research, and clinical care. His service to UTMB and to the medical community is extensive. Dr. Sierpina is well respected by his patients, faculty, staff and students.