The horseshoe base and the pillar, cast as one piece, and the limb are made of iron and painted black. The brass arm supports the body-tube, which has a triple nosepiece. The coarse adjustment is by rackwork, and the screw for fine adjusting is on top of the limb. Below the square stage are a swinging Abbe condenser, an iris diaphragm, and a double mirror. The microscope was purchased in 1914 by George Hermann III, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, when he was a medical student. It comes with a wooden carrying case and accessories. Signed: Bausch & Lomb Optical Co. Rochester, N.Y. The serial number 99168 is at the end of the tube.