Moody Medical Library
Academic Resources | Blocker History of Medicine Collections
The Blocker Collections hold approximately 10,000 photographs, 6,000 prints, woodcuts, engravings and lithographs, 5,400 postcards and over 100,000 postage stamps. This collection also contains The Keiller Collection which includes 2,358 detailed anatomical drawings of miscellaneous medical subjects.
The William Keiller, M.D. Department of Anatomy Drawings contains 2,358 detailed anatomical drawings created by Dr. William Keiller, UTMB’s first professor of anatomy, and sixty other UTMB faculty and students. The drawings were used in lectures and labs as teaching aids and date between 1898 and 1965, with the majority dating between 1920 and 1940.Photographs Collection
The Blocker collection contains an extensive photograph collection which documents the people, places and events that cover the entire history of the UTMB. The collection consists of approximately 10,000 photographs of which the vast majority is black and white and date to the founding of John Sealy Hospital in 1890.Portraits and Prints Collection
The print collection consists mostly of portraits of medical and scientific figures from the 17th through the 19th centuries. This group of woodcuts, engravings and lithographs also includes drawings of miscellaneous medical subjects such as hospitals, anatomical drawings, and reproductions of famous paintings.Postage Stamp Collection
The postage stamps collection of Dr. K. F. Meyer, a well known philatelist, was purchased in 1977. The Library continued with the acquisition of stamps until 1984. Morris M. Weiss, M.D. further enhanced the Meyer collection in 1993 with a very large donation of postage stamps.Postcard Collection
The Radbill Collection of Hospital Postcards was purchased in 1984 from Dr. S. X. Radbill. It consists of postcards featuring United States hospitals from 1900-1950. In 1993 Dr. Weiss donated a collection of over 3,500 postcards and William Helfand added several hundred more, making this collection one of the largest of its kind owned by a public institution.