Moody Medical Library
Academic Resources | Blocker History of Medicine Collections
Nachet et Fils
A leading Parisian instrument maker, Camille Sebastien Nachet (1799-1881) established his firm in 1839. He won a Prize Medal at the Great Exhibition of 1851 for the quality of workmanship of his microscopes.
This small microscope has a solid brass base that supports the short tubal pillar. The limb carries the stage, with a dove tail slide underneath, and a body-tube with cone nose. The instrument dates from about 1860, as Nachet moved from Serpente Street in 1862. It is associated with Institut Pasteur, and is similar to the microscope used by Pasteur in his work on the diseases of silkworms. It comes with a wooden carrying case and accessories. Signed: Nachet et Fils rue Serpente, 16. Paris.
Additional Photograph: Signature (1.007).
Born in Germany, Oberhaeuser moved to Paris in 1818, after having served his apprenticeship in Wurzburg. In 1822, he started his business, and worked with Trecourt and Bouquet from 1830 to 1835. In 1857, his nephew, Edmund Hartnack (1826-1891), joined the firm. Oberhaeuser enjoyed a reputation as a major instrument maker.
This early instrument, with a horseshoe-shaped base, has a brass body-tube that moves on the rackwork and is attached to the limb by a short arm. The pillar supports the stage and the limb. The instrument is also fitted with an Abbe condenser and an iris diaphragm, features which were added later on. Based on the style and the low serial number, however, we believe that the microscope dates from about 1860. No carrying case or accessories. Signed on the tube: Oberhaeuser, Place Dauphine, Paris. Stamped on the bottom of the base: 2247.
An apprentice of Edmund Hartnack, Verick established his own business before 1877 in Paris. He was succeeded by Maurice Stiassnie in 1882.
This well built microscope of typical continental design has a horseshoe foot and a square pillar that supports the stage and the limb. The square stage has a fitting for a condenser (missing). It comes with a wooden carrying case and accessories. About 1880. Signed: C. Verick Suc. de Kleinod Rue de la Parcheminerie, 2 Paris.
Additional Photograph: Signature (1.076).