LOI Deadline: Monday, May 23, 2022
The NIH-funded UTMB Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center (P30 AG024832) encourages UTMB investigators to submit pilot research proposals for translational aging research on physical function and recovery from illness in older adults. Proposals from basic science, clinical trials, patient-centered outcomes, population health, and any other area of translational research (T1-T4) are welcome.
High-priority areas of research include but are not limited to:
• Geroscience and basic mechanisms of aging
• Interventions to improve function and recovery from illness
• Resiliency and functional reserve
• Health disparities and health equity
The purpose of this pilot funding is to support aging-related research that will realistically lead to external funding. Pilot awardees will have access to clinical research resources, such as a research coordinator, provided by the Pepper Center. Projects will be funded for one year (09/01/2022 – 08/31/2023), with total annual direct costs not to exceed $50,000. If applicable, approval by UTMB’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) or Institutional Review Board (IRB) is required by pilot start date.
Proposals are encouraged from all investigators interested in initiating studies on aging.
The pilot proposal selection will follow a 2-step process:
• Step 1: Letter of Intent & Biosketch – Interested investigators should write a brief letter of intent describing in one page or less their research idea, the relevance to the Pepper Center theme, and how this idea would lead to external funding in aging. Letters & biosketches can be submitted to Stephanie Burt (Pepper OAIC Administrator) via e-mail to email@example.com.
o Deadline for receipt of the letter of intent and biosketch is Monday, May 23, 2022.
o Letters of Intent will be evaluated by the Pepper Executive Committee, and those selected will be asked to submit a full proposal.
• Step 2: Full Proposal –If selected to submit a full proposal, a 5-page proposal in NIH format will be required outlining your research plan. If requested, a research mentor and biostatistician can be assigned to assist with development of the proposal.
o Deadline for receipt of the full proposal is Friday, July 1st, 2022.
o Full proposals will be evaluated by the Pilot Review Committee, comprised of UTMB Pepper Center leaders and experts in the field, and at least one independent external reviewer with specific expertise in the area of the
Please feel free to share this announcement with your colleagues.
More information can be found at: www.utmb.edu/pepper
Questions should be sent to Stephanie Burt, phone: (409) 266-9675 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The UTMB Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center is funded by NIH grant #P30 AG024832.