Welcome to UTMB’s Family Medicine Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in the University of Texas Medical Branch
(UTMB) Family Medicine Residency Program. The University of Texas
Medical Branch (UTMB) is a component of the University of Texas System
and is located on beautiful Galveston Island, Texas. The Department of
Family Medicine at UTMB was established in 1971. It was the first
academic department of Family Medicine in the state of Texas. Since
1998, the Department of Family Medicine has been chaired by Dr. Barbara L. Thompson.
The Residency Program has graduated over 350 residents since accepting the first trainees in 1971.
The program is structured as a 10-10-10 program accredited by the ACGME, for a total of 30 residents in training annually.
- 100% Board Pass Rate since 2011
- 100% Fellowship Match last 5 years in Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, Geratrics, Integrative Medicine and Palliative Care
- Four developed tracks: Faculty Development, Sports Medicine, Obstetrics/Women's Health, and Integrative Medicine
- Or you can choose your own Area of Concentration
- Point Of Care UltraSound Training: A recently developed part of our curriculum incorporating utilization of the portable ButterflyIQ ultrasound technology along with SonoSim. These two resources combined with LSTAR simulation lab, as well as the Health Education Center on campus will provide a well-rounded ultrasound experience
- Essentials - 1st year interns receive a 4-week orientation block
- Principles of Family Medicine - 1st year interns get one week off during holidays
- Behavioral Medicine - 2nd year rotation that's specialized with outside speakers
- Board Prep - 3rd year you'll receive a dedicated board review rotation helping your to pass your boards
- UWorld is free to all residents, for all three years of training, to assist in preparing for ITE Exams, USMLE Step 3 and State Board Exams
- Practice Management – intensive practice management longitudinal curriculum with focused rotation in the third year to prepare each resident for the real world and the business of medicine
- Integrative Medicine - dedicated faculty that put the patients at the center of their care and address a full range of physical, emotional, mental, social, spiritual and environmental influences
- Procedure Rotation - 4 weeks dedicated to multiple procedure experiences
- Unique Electives - Hospitalist, ER, Global Health, Create Your Own
Other Key Features of Our Program:
- Community Medicine – valued component of our program that enables integration of the concepts of community health, advocacy and intervention in practice and in collaboration with local community organizations
- We offer a large number of electives
- Scholarly Activity - Structured 3 years of scholarly activity guided by our research director for excellent chances to be published in journals and attend an annual regional research symposium.
- Quarterly residency support groups
- Patient-Centered Medical Home – clinical and didactic teaching focused on providing integrated, coordinated, comprehensive, and accessible health care for our patients, families, and community
- Campus-wide integrated EMR (Epic)
- Opportunities for Global Health experiences internationally.
- Resident Research Program – longitudinal curriculum and focused third year rotation with potential for multiple national conference presentations and/or publications
We believe that the rich academic environment of UTMB will afford motivated and dedicated residents incredible opportunities to become true physicians of excellence, providing the best care to our patients and our communities. Again, thank you for your interest.
Please come and visit us!
Department of Family Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, Texas 77555-1123
Jamal Islam, MD, MS
Director, Residency Program
Residency Training Program Coordinator
Residency Training Program Manager