UTMB Wireless Network
UTMB has established a way to incorporate an equal blend of reliability, convenience, and security to UTMB’s advancing information technology environment.
Students / Faculty / Staff
The wireless network enables faculty, students, and staff with a UTMB username and password to connect laptop computers or other devices to the network from several locations on campus without the need to plug in a data cable. Students, Faculty, and Staff should connect to the UTMBWifi wireless network.
Patients / Guests
Wireless internet access is provided to patients and guests in all areas of the campus and hospital served by the UTMBGuest wireless network. UTMBGuest wireless users are required to register their device after connecting by opening a web browser and following the simple on-screen instructions.
Guest Wi-Fi Caution
As with most public wireless, UTMBGuest Wi-Fi connection is not secure and privacy cannot be protected. Any information being sent or received could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user. Wireless users should not transmit sensitive personal information (credit card numbers, passwords, or any other sensitive personal information) while using the UTMBGuest public wireless network.
- Wireless Standard Supported
- A wireless card/adapter that supports the 5GHz Wi-Fi standard, or commonly known as 802.11a, is preferred.
- Wireless Standard Not Supported
- IEEE 2.4 GHz or 802.11b is no longer supported.
- DHCP must be enabled (this is the default)
- Obtain IP Address Automatically
- Use DHCP
- All UTMBWIFI users will use WPA2 with 802.1x authentication (see documentation below)
- All UTMBGuest users will connect by following the on-screen instructions after selecting the UTMBGuest wireless network.
- Cookies must enabled on your Web browser
- Computers accessing the UTMB network with a wireless
connection are required to have up-to-date patches and current
auto-updatable antivirus software installed.
- Students, Faculty, and Staff contact the Service Desk at (409) 772-5200 for information on acquiring antivirus software
- Patients and guests are required to have their own antivirus software.
Detailed instructions for connecting to the wireless network:
- Personal and Portable Devices
- Users should be familiar with their own personal
wireless device and have basic knowledge of how to connect their devices
to a wireless network.
- UTMB cannot guarantee that all users will be able to
make a wireless connection due to the many types of devices on the
market. Older devices, greater than 4 years or devices with reduced
features have a greater chance of being incompatible with UTMB