UTMB Wireless Network
UTMB has established a way to incorporate an equal blend of reliability, convenience, and security to UTMB’s advancing information technology environment. This ground-breaking initiative, driven by the IS Network and Security Services Team, provides campus-wide WIRELESS access to the UTMB network and Internet 24 hours a day.
UTMBa & UTMBWiFi Secure Wi-Fi
The wireless network enables faculty, students, and staff with a UTMB username and password to connect laptop computers or other devices to the network from several locations on campus without the need to plug in a data cable. Students, Faculty, and Staff should connect to the UTMBWifi wireless network.
Wireless internet access is provided to patients and guests in all areas of the campus and hospital served by the UTMBGuest wireless network. UTMBGuest wireless users are required to register their device after connecting by opening a web browser and following the simple on-screen instructions.
Guest Wi-Fi Caution
As with most public wireless, UTMBGuest Wi-Fi connection is not secure and privacy cannot be protected. Any information being sent or received could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user. Wireless users should not transmit sensitive personal information (credit card numbers, passwords, or any other sensitive personal information) while using the UTMBGuest public wireless network.
- Wireless Standard Supported
- A wireless card/adapter that supports the 5GHz Wi-Fi standard, or commonly known as 802.11a, is preferred.
- Wireless Standard Not Supported
- IEEE 2.4 GHz or 802.11b is no longer supported.
- DHCP must be enabled (this is the default)
- Obtain IP Address Automatically
- Use DHCP
- All UTMBWIFI users will use WPA2 with 802.1x authentication (see documentation below)
- All UTMBGuest users will connect by following the on-screen instructions after selecting the UTMBGuest wireless network.
- Cookies must enabled on your Web browser
- Computers accessing the UTMB network with a wireless
connection are required to have up-to-date patches and current
auto-updatable antivirus software installed.
- Students, Faculty, and Staff contact the Service Desk at (409) 772-5200 for information on acquiring antivirus software
- Patients and guests are required to have their own antivirus software.
Detailed instructions for connecting to the wireless network:
- OS 8.6 and greater (In planning)
- Personal Devices
- Users should be familiar with their own personal wireless device and have basic knowledge of how to connect their devices to a wireless network.
- UTMB cannot guarantee that all users will be able to make a wireless connection due to the many types of devices on the market. Older devices, greater than 4 years or devices with reduced features have a greater chance of being incompatible with UTMB wireless network.
Wireless Progress for all of UTMB
Currently, wireless network connectivity does exist across the entire UTMB enterprise.
If you have any questions about wireless availability, please contact the UTMB IS Service Desk at (409) 772-5200 or email@example.com or Service Desk to open a ticket. A Network & Security Services representative will contact you after receiving the request.
Other useful links …
Standard Computing Requirements
Microsoft Office Office 365