Doctorate of Clinical Laboratory Sciences
The UTMB DCLS program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N. River Rd. Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119
A graduate of the UTMB DCLS program will be able to:
- Provide patient-centered, customized consultation services on appropriate test selection and interpretation for the purpose of clinical decision making among the interprofessional health care team and for the patient.
- Monitor laboratory data, test utilization, and diagnostic testing processes in individual patients and populations using informatics and analytics to reduce diagnostic errors, improve efficiency, and reduce costs.
- Conduct research and apply evidence to demonstrate clinical utility of laboratory tests and algorithms and to improve the quality, efficiency, and safety of the overall diagnostic testing process.
- Educate health care providers, patients, their families, and the general public about the indications, best evidence, patient preparation, and interpretation of clinical laboratory testing, including home self-testing.
- Direct laboratory operations to comply with all state and federal laws and regulations, as well as guidelines determined by professional boards of licensure, and certification/accreditation agencies
- Participate in public and private health policy decision making at all organization and government levels using best evidence.