Master of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
Admissions & Application
- Fall semester deadline: July 1st (for certified and non-certified applicants)
- Spring semester deadline: November 1st (for certified only)
- Summer semester deadline: March 1st (for certified only)
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in medical laboratory science, biology, or a related science including standard college courses in general chemistry, mathematics, microbiology, and biology (see list below).
- Previous laboratory experience is advantageous.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- International applicants will be considered. Applicants from non-English speaking countries must submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score.
Interested individuals may request an exploratory meeting with the CLS graduate coordinator by emailing unofficial transcripts with your Name, Address and Phone number and the name of the program to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants holding a baccalaureate degree in CLS and ASCP certification may enroll in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences curriculum.
Applicants holding baccalaureate degrees in other fields may enroll in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences curriculum and work toward a second baccalaureate degree, provided the prerequisites have been completed prior to matriculation.
Note: scroll left to view full table on mobile devices.
|Biological Sciences 1
|General Microbiology 1
|General Chemistry 1
|Anatomy and Physiology II or Human Physiology 2,4
Total Prerequisite Credit Hours: 36
- Biology and chemistry science courses must be for science majors and include laboratories.
- Anatomy and Physiology II or Human Physiology will be required to satisfy 3 hours of Physiology.
- The mathematics course must be college algebra or higher.
- Human Physiology is only required for non-CLS program graduates.
- Biochemistry and Immunology are prerequisites but may be completed while in the UTMB CLS Master's program.
- A grade of "C" or higher is required to satisfy any prerequisite.
- A grade of "B" or higher is required to satisfy any transfer credit course.
Students are strongly encouraged to take courses in genetics and statistics to satisfy their elective prerequisites.
Visit the Texas General Education Core Web Center for more information about core curriculum requirements for Texas institutions of higher education.
To be considered for acceptance into the UTMB MSCLS Program, the applicant must:
- Complete the UTMB application (submit online). You must also include the following items:
- the required application fee
- your signed and dated supporting statement
- if you are MLT trained or certified, please indicate this fact in your supporting statement
- Send transcripts from all previously attended universities and colleges.
- Applicants are requested to have their transcripts sent to AHCAS. Electronic submission greatly expedites processing and improves the accuracy of transcript evaluation.
- Provide foreign transcripts evaluation information, such as WES or ECE.
- Include three (3) references* (name and email address) MUST be listed in the application prior to submission.
- Complete personal interviews with the faculty of the Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
* Reference letter forms should be completed by individuals who can evaluate your work and professional ethics, study habits, and classroom/laboratory outcomes. These individuals may include a faculty member, teaching assistant, or work
supervisor. If you have volunteer experience in the field of health care, the volunteer coordinator who supervised your experience may be able to complete the form.
Additional Admission Information
- Admission to the program is determined by the MSCLS Admissions Committee. (Must meet the Technical Standards.)
- As a condition of admission, all matriculating students must complete a security background check,
at cost to the student. Information will be sent to you about this background check after you are granted admission to the program.
- Classes begin in the Fall Term for the MSCLS for non-certified applicants, but any semester for certified CLS applicants.
Applicants whose tertiary-level education has been completed at international institutions in a non-English speaking country must meet the following requirements, in addition to providing the credentials for their prospective program:
- Take and score satisfactorily on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if the native language is not English. A minimum satisfactory score is a total of 550 for the TOEFL PBT
(or a minimum score of 79 on the TOEFL iBT (internet based)) or 6.5 for IELTS; however, TOEFL or IELTS score requirements are one of the many criteria of a student's admission, and the requirement could vary based upon previous education, GPA,
and related factors. Test of Spoken English is recommended for applicants to the MS CLS program.
- Submit an acceptable English translation with the transcripts if the transcripts are not in English. If the degree is not indicated on transcript, a copy of the diploma and/or certificate issued by the school is required.
A summary of TOEFL Requirements for International Students is available on the UTMB
SHP Academic and Student Affairs web page. International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved agency.