- Biology and chemistry science courses must be for science majors and include laboratories.
- Anatomy and Physiology I may be used to satisfy 4 hours of Biology.
- The mathematics course must be college algebra or higher. A statistics course is strongly encouraged.
- Students are strongly encouraged to take courses in genetics and immunology to satisfy their science elective prerequisites.
- A grade of "C" or higher is required to satisfy any prerequisite.
- A grade of "C" or higher is required to satisfy any transfer credit course.
Additional recommended but not required courses: organic chemistry, microbiology, immunology, and genetics.
To be considered for acceptance into the Post-Baccalaureate Categorical Certificate program, the applicant must
- Complete the UTMB application (submit online). You must also include the following items:
- the required application fee
- your signed and dated supporting statement
- Send transcripts from all previously attended universities and colleges.
- Applicants must request to have their transcripts sent to AHCAS. Electronic submission greatly expedites processing and improves the accuracy of transcript evaluation.
- Provide foreign transcripts evaluation information, such as WES or ECE.
- Include three (3) references* (name and email address) MUST be listed in the application prior to submission.
- Complete personal interviews with the faculty of the Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
* Reference letter forms should be completed by individuals who can evaluate your work and professional ethics, study habits, and classroom/laboratory outcomes. These individuals may include a faculty member, teaching assistant, or work
supervisor. If you have volunteer experience in the field of health care, the volunteer coordinator who supervised your experience may be able to complete the form.
Additional Admission Information
- Admission to the program is determined by the CLS Admissions Committee. (Must meet the Technical Standards.)
- As a condition of admission, all matriculating students must complete a security background check,
at cost to the student. Information will be sent to you about this background check after you are granted admission to the program.
- Classes begin in the Fall Term for on-campus students.
Applicants whose tertiary-level education has been completed at international institutions in a non-English speaking country must meet the following requirements, in addition to providing the credentials for their prospective program:
- Take and score satisfactorily on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if the native language is not English. A minimum satisfactory score is a total of 550 (or a score of 213
on the computer based exam) or 6.5 for IELTS; however, TOEFL or IELTS score requirements are one of the many criteria of a student's admission, and the requirement could vary based upon previous education, GPA, and related factors. Test of Spoken
English is recommended for applicants to the GSBS.
- Submit an acceptable English translation with the transcripts if the transcripts are not in English. If the degree is not indicated on transcript, a copy of the diploma and/or certificate issued by the school is required.
A summary of TOEFL Requirements for International Students is available on the UTMB
SHP Academic and Student Affairs web page. International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved agency.
Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI), formerly Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP), is a state-legislated program designed to improve student success in college. All undergraduate students must have satisfied the TSI prior to enrolling at UTMB. Questions
regarding the TSI requirements can be directed to Enrollment Services.