What is SharePoint Online?
UTMB Information Services is migrating all data and business processes currently in iSpace (Xythos) to SharePoint Online (SPO) and OneDrive, two applications within Microsoft’s Office 365 (O365) Suite.
SharePoint Online is a cloud-based file management and sharing environment from Microsoft. With SharePoint, you can access and collaborate on documents from anywhere—at the office, at home, or from a mobile device. SharePoint includes OneDrive, which allows you to store up to 1 TB of your files in the cloud.
OneDrive is similar to your personal work folder in the Users volume within iSpace. Windows computers running modern versions of Windows 10 and Office will be able to access OneDrive through an application or through a web browser. Contact the IS Service Desk at (409) 772-5200 for details.
UTMB Mac computers are not able to take advantage of the OneDrive for Mac application, because Macs do not join the UTMB domain in the way that Windows computers do. Mac users must visit the office.com web portal in order to access OneDrive.
Important: The OneDrive client will only sync with Windows computers on the UTMB network. If you aren’t on the UTMB network, access to your OneDrive data is available via the office.com web portal.
SharePoint features and benefits include:
- Improved business continuity: SharePoint documents are stored in the Microsoft cloud, protected from unexpected local weather and other adverse conditions.
- Improved integration with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office products.
- Files and documents are accessible from anywhere, with computers and mobile devices.
- Edit, attach and approve documents with one click while you’re on the go.
- Co-authoring empowers true collaboration at UTMB—edit documents simultaneously with teammates and colleagues across departments.
What to expect during this transition
March 20 - August 30, 2019 is the planned migration timeline: Migrations to SharePoint and OneDrive will occur in stages. More details to come. There will be continuous communication, robust training and ongoing support will be
made available as we complete this transition.
Only the latest versions of documents in iSpace will be migrated. If you have questions about files with versioning enabled, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web pages that contain links to iSpace documents will need to be updated with new links to those files once they have been migrated to SharePoint. We’ll be sure you have all the tools you need to complete this successfully and will update this guide with how-to documents and instructions as they become available.