Dr. Bagi Jana joined the faculty of UTMB division of Medical Oncology and Hematology in 2011. He earned his medical degree at the Madras Medical College in Chennai, India in 1990. He completed his Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Illinois College of Medicine and went on to complete his fellowship in Medical Oncology and Hematology at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York University, New York.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine (1997), Medical Oncology (2000 & recertified 2010) and Hematology (2003), Dr. Jana brings more than a decade of experience in providing high quality and compassionate cancer care. His research interests focus on improving the outcome of Genito urinary malignancies namely Prostate, Urinary bladder and Kidney cancers. Dr. Jana is actively engaged in clinic research and strives to provide the best modern cutting edge multi disciplinary care at UTMB.
Dr. Jana is a member of American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Medical Association, American Association of Cancer Research, American Society of Hematology, RTOG and SWOG. He has authored or co-authored several peer reviewed journal publications involving original research, abstracts and book chapters.
Selected Articles and Abstracts
- Jana, Bagi RP Cabazitaxel improves survival in castration resistant prostate cancer patients with progression on docetaxel. Dec 2010 Community Oncology Volume 7 Number 12 (542-3).
- Dr. Ashwani Sood, Dr. Jianmin Wang, Dr. Paulette Mhawech-Fauceglia, Dr. Bagirathan Jana, Dr. Ping Liang, Dr. Joseph Geradts. SAM Pointed Domain Containing ETS Transcription Factor In Luminal Breast Cancer Pathogenesis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 2009;18:1899-1903
- Thaer Khoury MD, Wilfrido Mojica MD, David G. Hicks MD, Bagirathan Janarthanan MD, Jian Tan MD, Chunqiao Tian MD, And Richard T Cheney MD, 2006. Trastuzumab Binding Site Mutations in HER2 Positive Invasive Breast Cancer: A Potential Predictor of Less Aggressive Disease and Trastuzumab Resistance. Oral Presentation at San-Antonio Breast Cancer Meeting Dec 2006.
- Janarthanan Bagi, et al, 2006. Prognosis of Occult Breast Carcinoma Presenting with Axillary Lymph Node Metastasis. Oncology 71:456-459
- Ramya Varadarajan MD, Bagirathan Janarthanan MD, Joseph Geradts MD, Swati Kulkarni MD, Gokul Das MD, 2005. Study of Association between P53 Mutation and Tamoxifen Therapy in Women with Hormone Receptor Positive Invasive Ductal Cancer. Proceedings In American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Dongfeng Tan, Xiuxian Wu, Min Hou, Soo Ok Lee, Wei Lou, Jianmin Wang, Bagirathan Janarthanan, Donald L. Trump and Allen C. Gao, 2005. Interleukin-6 Polymorphism Is Associated With Risk of Advanced and Recurrent Prostate Cancer. J. Urol. 174 (2): 753-56.
- Sujatha Nallapareddy, Janarthanan Bagirathan, Sujana Kamasani, 2005. Esophageal Cancer in a Post-Liver Transplant Patient. Internet Journal of Gastroenterology, Volume 4 Number 1.
- Janarthanan B et al, 1996. Hepato-Colic Fistula and Lower GI Bleeding In Hepatoma. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 91(12): 2626-7.
Selected Book Chapters
- Transitional cell carcinoma of renal pelvis, emedicine/Medscape 2010
- Adrenal cancer, emedicine/Medscape 2009.
- Renal cancer, emedicine/Medscape 2010.
- Urinary bladder cancer, emedicine/Medscape 2010.
- Testicular cancer, emedicine/Medscape 2010.