of the training program is dedicated to research with additional time interspersed in the remainder of the fellowship. At least 25% of the resident's time is allocated to research per ACGME requirements. Each resident is required to present a scientific abstract at a national meeting and to submit peer-reviewed publications. Further, they are strongly encouraged to apply for national and regional awards and grants. This is another measure of the quality of research.
National Meetings: Fellows are encouraged to submit abstracts and attend the ACAAI meeting in the fall and the AAAAI meeting in the spring. Texas also holds its own state meeting annually as well. Each fellow will be able attend at least one of these meetings annually.
Fellow Publications (2010 to 2017 Fellows)
- Patel TR, Sur S. IgE and eosinophils as therapeutic targets in asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 Feb;17(1):42-49. doi: 10.1097/ACI.0000000000000336. PMID:27906698
- Tripple JW, McCracken JL, Calhoun WJ. Biologic Therapy in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2017 May;37(2):345-355. doi: 10.1016/j.iac.2017.01.009. Review. PMID:28366481
- McCracken JL, Tripple JW, Calhoun WJ. Biologic therapy in the management of asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016 Aug;16(4):375-82. doi: 0.1097/ACI.0000000000000284. PMID:27362324
- Asawa A, Simpson KH, Bonds RS. Ketotifen use in a patient with fire ant hypersensitivity and mast cell activation syndrome. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015 Jun: 114 (6): 443-6 PMID:25868710.
- Sokol KC, Sharma G, Lin YL, Goldblum RM. Choosing Wisely: Adherence by Physicians to Recommended Use of Spirometry in the Diagnosis and Management of Adult Asthma. Am J Med. 2014 Dec 29: 128 (5): 502-8 PMID:2554370.
- Sokol KC, Ghazi A, Kelly BC, Grant JA. Omalizumab as a desensitizing agent and treatment in mastocytosis: a review of the literature and case report. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2014 May-Jun: 2(3): 266-70 PMID:24811015.
- Reddy AP, Gupta MR. Management of asthma: the current US and European guidelines. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2014 795: 81-103 PMID:24162904.
- Divekar R, Calhoun WJ. Heterogeneity of asthma in society. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2014: 795: 31-41 PMID:241629041.
- Sokol KC, Amar NK, Starkey J, Grant JA. Ketotifen in the management of chronic urticaria: resurrection of an old drug. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013 Dec; 111(6):433-6 PMID:24267353..
- Divekar R, Ameredes BT, Calhoun WJ. Symptom-based controller therapy: a new paradigm for asthma management. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2013 Oct; 13(5): 427-33 PMID:23904098.
- Trikha A, Baillargeon JG, Kuo YF, Tan A, Pierson K, Sharma G, Wilkinson G, Bonds RS. Development of food allergies in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease treated with gastric acid suppressive medications. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2013 Sep; 24 (6): 582-8 PMID:23905907.
- Ghazi A, Grant JA. Hereditary angioedema: epidemiology, management, and role of icatibant. Biologics. 2013; 7: 103-13 PMID:23662043.
- Ghazi A, Trikha A, Calhoun WJ. Benralizumab - a humanized mAb to IL-5Ra with enhanced antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity - a novel approach for the treatment of asthma. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2012 Jan; 12(1): 113-8 PMID:22136436.
- Bhat KD, Calhoun WJ. Symptom-adjusted therapy in asthma: it is time to listen to our patients. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2011 May; 7 (3): 259-261 PMID:21595590.
- Bhat KD, Calhoun WJ. Omalizumab in asthma: is the therapeutic window too small? Chest. 2011 Jan; 139 (1): 8-10 PMID 21208873.
Articles and Abstracts/Scientific Presentations by Fellows 2010 - Present
Motosue A, Alperin J, Elghetany MT., Bonds R. Seventy-four-year-old woman with myelodysplastic syndrome and splenomegaly. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings. 31(3), 252-257, 2010. PMID:20615327.
Bhat D, Esham D, Medagoda-Desilva R, Nasir M, Tiñana A, Vaidya S, Grant, JA. Achieving asthma control in the inner city: do the National Institutes of Health asthma guidelines really work? (CME examination). J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125(2): 527-528.
Mohsen N, Grant JA. Update on clinical options for the management of allergic rhinitis. Clinical Medicine Insights: Therapeutics 3: 1–16, 2011.
Saavedra MC, Sur S. Down regulation of the high-affinity IgE receptor associated with successful treatment of chronic idiopathic urticaria with omalizumab. Clin Mol Allergy. 2011 Jan 19;9(1):2. doi: 10.1186/1476-7961-9-2. PMID:21247438.
Sokol K, Sur S, Ameredes BT. Inhaled environmental allergens and toxicants as determinants of the asthma phenotype Adv Exp Med Biol. 2014;795:43-73. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-8603-9_4. Review. PMID: 24162902.
Zahiruddin AS, Grant JA, and Sur S. Role of epigenetics and DNA-damage in asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Feb;18(1):32-37. PMID:29189349.
Wu AY, Sur S, and Grant JA. Treating insect bite hypersensitivity (IBH) in horses by active vaccination against Interleukin-5. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Jul 5. pii: S0091-6749(18)30994-1. PMID:29981806.
Chambliss JM, Sur S, and Tripple JW. Asthma versus chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, the Dutch versus British hypothesis, and role of interleukin-5. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Feb;18(1):26-31. PMID:29257776.
Albert Y Wu, Sanjiv Sur, J Andrew Grant, Julia W Tripple. Interleukin-4/interleukin-13 versus interleukin-5: a comparison of molecular targets in biologic therapy for the treatment of severe asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019 Feb;19(1):30-37. PMID:30407206.