In this guest column, UTMB’s Dr. Harold Pine writes about the dangers of fireworks. “Since many of the injuries happen to children left unsupervised, perhaps a few words from a pediatric ear, nose and throat surgeon will make parents extra careful this Independence Day. … The problem is that even seemingly innocuous things like sparklers can cause injury. They burn at more than 1,000 degrees and contain toxic metals. They are second only to firecrackers in causing fireworks-related injuries. Fireworks can do terrible damage. Every summer, emergency rooms take care of people who have burns, eye injuries, hearing loss and trauma.”