Principal Investigators are required to submit a Notification of Use (NOU) for biological agents, recombinant material, Human and Non-Human Primate Products for Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) approval prior to any work being conducted. Materials
that require IBC approval prior to work commencing are the following:
- All human and non-human primate material (including commercial cell lines)
- All risk group 2-3-4 infectious agents
- All recombinant material (purchased or manipulated) regulated by NIH-OSP guidelines
- All risk group 3 and 4 infectious agents that will be inactivated and removed from the containment lab to be further manipulated at a lower biosafety level:
Principal Investigators are responsible for the following:
- Submit a new NOU to the IBC prior to new agent or recombinant material being used.
- Maintaining list of current personnel for each of their NOU.
- Maintaining current NOU for work being conducted in their laboratories (renewal every 5 years).
- Notifying the IBC of changes:
- Submitting NOU and NIH-OSP annual continuing review forms
- For using the most current version of NOU to submit to the IBC, failure to do so may result in the NOU not being approved and delaying the commencement of the project.
The IBC meets the first Friday of the month, except for the dates listed in red. Contact the Department of Biosafety at (409) 772-1781 or EHS.IBC@utmb.edu if you have questions.