SHP Student Involvement & Organizations
Student Ambassador Society
Do you love the school? Do you want to share your enthusiasm? Well, this is your chance to be an ambassador for the School of Health Professions (SHP).
The purpose of the Student Ambassador Society is to provide service to the UTMB School of Health Professions alumni (past), current students (present) and incoming students (future). This organization of enthusiastic student representatives provides campus tours, service to the surrounding community of Galveston County, event support for the Office of Academic and Student Affairs and Office of Alumni and Parent Relations.
Note: you must download the PDF to enable to pdf fillable feature.
During the academic year, student ambassadors participate in the following activities:
- Prospective Student Tours
- Student Ambassadors volunteer their time to serve as tour guides for tours through the Office of Academic and Student Affairs. As students of the university, you will offer insights into Campus Life and Academia from a relevant perspective. Your energy and excitement for UTMB SHP will be hard to miss!
- Special Tours
- Student Ambassadors hosts special tours for a myriad of organizations, businesses, guidance counselors and special interest groups.
- Open Houses
- Open Houses are designed for prospective students and their families to showcase the rewarding and supportive environment at SHP! Student Ambassadors will assist coordinating volunteer efforts for these fun and informative visitation days. We recruit members of the student body and train them to actively participate in tours and assist in welcoming prospective students and their families!
- College Fairs and Panels
- Student Ambassadors attend college fairs with the Office of Academic and Student Affairs and participate in panel discussions.
- Student Ambassadors assist in set up and logistic support for commencement ceremonies.
- New Student Orientation
- Student Ambassadors assist in set up and logistic support for Welcome Weekend, Proud Parent Sessions and New Student Orientation events.
For more information on how to become a Student Ambassador, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joining a SHP student organization is a wonderful way to dedicate your time as a volunteer, help you make new friends who share your interests, expand your network, and prepare you for your career in healthcare where you will be called upon for service.
- AE - Alpha Eta
Alpha Eta is the national honor society for allied health professionals. The society recognizes those allied health professionals who have excelled in their field. This recognition is extended to students, alumni, and faculty members. The society promotes both scholarship and fellowship among its members. This commitment to collaboration is reflected in the motto of the society: Together We Serve.
- LT - Lambda Tau CLS Honor Society
To develop cooperation and unity among the students in medical technology and clinical laboratory science; to encourage high scholastic standards and enhance the student's interest in the profession.
- PTE - Pi Theta Epsilon - National Honor Society, Occupational Therapy
The mission of Pi Theta Epsilon is to support the development of occupational sciences and the practice of authentic occupational therapy by promoting research and other scholarly activities by its members. In this way, the organization serves not only the profession, but helps to insure quality health care services for the general public.
Visit: PTE Facebook
- RCSA - Respiratory Care Student Association
The mission of the Respiratory Care Student Association (RCSA) is to promote awareness of the respiratory therapy profession, participate in educational activities and raise funds to support goals of advancing the education of students. A further mission of UTMB's RCSA is to provide an environment that is friendly and supportive to its current and prospective students.
Visit: American Association for Respiratory Care
- SOCLS - Student Organization of Clinical Laboratory Sciences
The mission of the Student Organization of Clinical Laboratory Sciences is to formulate academic achievement and clinical excellence in the student body of the Clinical Laboratory Sciences program.
Visit: SOCLS Facebook
- SOTA - Student Occupational Therapy Association
The Student Occupational Therapy Association (S.O.T.A) advances quality, availability, use and support of occupational therapy through education, promotion, service, and fundraising on behalf of the students of occupational therapy at UTMB.
- SPTA - Student Physical Therapy Association
Created to bring together classmates for fundraising and community events. It is an educational and non-profit organization that will work together to volunteer time to the community, take part in continuing education opportunities outside the classroom representing the physical therapy profession, and to act with honor, integrity, and respect in all endeavors. Participation includes St. Vincent's Clinic, Adaptive Fishing Tournaments, Adaptive Aquatics Sports Day, Ronald McDonald House, Bake Sales, T-shirt sales and other volunteer work in the community.
Visit: SPTA Facebook
University Wide Student Orgs
There are over 80 student organizations at UTMB. Most are professional and discipline specific. Others are cultural, religious and social. Student Organizations each year participate in and organize hundreds of projects for the campus and the Galveston
In the course of planning and implementing organizational activities, students need information on the use of University facilities, budgeting, outside vendors and planning strategies. The Office of Student Life is the resource for students and student
organizations. It can provide valuable information and save lots of time and energy for busy students.
Visit the UTMB Student Life web page for leadership resources.
Check out the UTMB Student Government Association web page to learn more about how SHP SGA Senate representatives represent