Mukaila A. Raji attended the medical school at the University of Ife in Nigeria. He also completed his internal medicine residency at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC, USA, a Geriatric Fellowship at Duke University in Durham, NC, USA, and Master of Science Degree in Pharmacology at the University of Alberta in Canada. Dr. Raji is board certified in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics. He is a tenured Professor and Chief of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. He is a Co-PI or Co-I on several federal grants. He has published over 100 peer-reviewed articles and several book chapters in the areas of cognitive aging and disability, health policy, and geriatric pharmacology. Dr. Raji is a recipient of the Sir William Osler Excellence in Clinical Teaching Awards (2006 & 2018), the America’s Top Doctor in Geriatric Medicine Awards (2017 & 2018), and the Top Texas Physician Awards (Texas Super Doctors - 2013 to 2018). He is Program Director of UTMB Geriatric Medicine Fellowship. Dr. Raji teaches medical students, residents, and geriatrics fellows and serves as attending faculty on the Acute Care for the Elders Unit, Geriatric Consults, and Geriatric Clinic Service.
Honors & Awards
1981 National Merit Award Scholarship
1984 Faculty Prize for the Best Student in the B.Sc. (Health Sciences) degree program
1985 Distinction in Pathology
1987 Best Student Prizes: Medicine, Surgery & Medical Specialties in final M.D. exams
1994 Faculty of Graduate Studies Research Award, University of Alberta, Canada.
2002 Geriatric Academic Career Award, US Dept. of Health & Human Services, Rockville
2006 Recipient, Sir William Osler Excellence in Clinical Teaching Award.
2011 Fellow, American College of Physicians
2012 U.S. News & World Report Top Doctors in America
2013-18 Texas Monthly Super Doctors – Texas Top Physician
2017-18 America’s Top Doctor
2013 Member, UTMB Academy of Master Teachers
2013 Edgar Gnitzinger Distinguished Professorship in Aging
2017 Professor, Neurology, Nursing, Preventive Medicine, and Community Health
Selected publications: https://utmb.influuent.utsystem.edu/en/persons/mukaila-raji
1. Raji, MA; Brady, S. Mirtazapine for the treatment of depression and co-morbidities in Alzheimer’s disease. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 35:1024-7, 2001.
2. Raji, MA, Ostir GV, Markides KS, Goodwin JS. The interaction of cognitive and emotional status on subsequent physical functioning in older Mexican Americans: Findings from the Hispanic-EPESE. J Gerontol Med Sci. 57A:M1-M5, 2002.
3. Raji, MA, Ostir GV, Markides KS, Espino DV, Goodwin JS. Potentially inappropriate medication use by elderly Mexican Americans. Ann Pharmacother. 37:1197-1202, 2003.
4. Raji MA, Al Snih S, Ray LA, Patel KV, Markides KS. Cognitive status and incident disability in older Mexican Americans. Ethnicity & Disease. 14:26-31, 2004.
5. Raji MA, Kuo YF, Salazar J, Satish S, Goodwin JS. Ethnic differences in antihypertensive medication use in the elderly. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 38:209-14, 2004.
6. Al Snih S, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ, Raji MA. Handgrip strength and incident ADL disability in elderly Mexican Americans over seven years. Aging Clinical & Experimental Research. 16: 481-486, 2004.
7. Raji MA, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Sharaf BM, Loera JA. Ethnic differences in herbs and vitamins/minerals use in the elderly. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 39:1019-23, 2005.
8. Raji MA, Tang RA, Heyn PC, Kuo YF, Owen SV, Singh S, Ottenbacher KJ. Screening for cognitive impairment in older adults attending an eye clinic. Journal of the National Medical Association. 97:808-814, 2005.
9. Raji MA, Kuo YF, Al Snih S, Markides KS, Peek MK, Ottenbacher KJ. Cognitive status, muscle strength and subsequent disability in older Mexican Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 53:1462-8, 2005.
10. Raji MA, Barnum PD, Freeman J, Markowitz A. Mirtazapine for depression and comorbidities in older patients with cancer. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 41(9):1548-9. 2007
11. Raji MA, Reyes-Ortiz CA, Kuo YF, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Depressive symptoms and cognitive change in older Mexican Americans. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 20(3):145-52, 2007.
12. Raji MA, Kuo YF, Freeman JL, Goodwin JS. Effect of a dementia diagnosis on survival of older patients after a diagnosis of breast, colon or prostate cancer: implications for cancer care. Archives of Internal Medicine. Archives of Internal Medicine. 168: 2033-40. 2008
13. Raji MA, Tamborello LP, Kuo YF, Ju H, Freeman JL, Zhang DD, Giordano SH, Goodwin JS. Risk of subsequent dementia diagnoses does not vary by types of adjuvant chemotherapy in older women with breast cancer. Med Oncology. 26:452-59. 2009
14. Beard HA, Markides KS, Alghatrif M, Kuo YF, Raji MA. Trends in diabetes medications use and geriatric syndromes in older Mexican Americans with diabetes from 1993/94 to 2004/05. Ann Pharmacother. 44(9):1376-83. 2010
15. Raji MA, Al Snih, Ostir GV, Markides KS, Ottenbacher KJ. Cognitive status is associated with future risk of frailty in older Mexican Americans. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 65:1228-34. 2010
16. Kuo HK, Al Snih S, Kuo YF, Raji MA. The associations of albuminuria and C-reactive protein with functional disability in older adults with diabetes mellitus: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2008. Diabetes Care. 34(3):710-7. 2011
17. Gordon T, Tyreman N, Raji MA. The basis for diminished functional recovery after delayed peripheral nerve repair. The Journal of Neuroscience. 31 :5325-34. 2011
18. Pedraza S, Al Snih S, Ottenbacher KJ, Markides KS, Raji MA. Sleep quality and sleep problems in Mexican Americans aged 75 and older. Aging Clin Exp Res. 24:391-7. 2012
19. Kuo HK, Al Snih S, Kuo YF, Raji MA. Chronic inflammation, albuminuria, and functional disability in older adults with cardiovascular disease: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2008. Atherosclerosis. 222:502-8. 2012
20. Raji MA, Lowery M, Lin YL, Kuo YF, Baillargeon J, Goodwin JS. National Utilization Patterns of Warfarin Use in Older Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: A Population Based Study of Medicare Part D Beneficiaries. Ann Pharmacother. 47:35-42. 2013
21. Padubidri A, Al Snih S, Rafael Samper-Ternet R, Markides KS, Raji MA. Falls and cognitive decline in Mexican Americans aged 75 years & older. Clinical Interventions In Aging 9;719-26. 2014
22. Parekh TM, Raji MA, Lin YL, Tan A, Kuo YF, Goodwin JS. Hypoglycemia after antimicrobial prescription for older patients on sulfonylureas. JAMA Intern Med. 174(10):1605-12. 2014
23. Kuo YF, Goodwin JS, Chen NW, Lwin KK, Baillargeon J, Raji MA. Diabetes Mellitus Care Provided by Nurse Practitioners vs Primary Care Physicians. J Am Geriatr Soc. 63(10):1980-8. 2015
24. Kuo YF, Raji MA, Chen NW, Hasan H, Goodwin JS. Trends in Opioid Prescriptions Among Part D Medicare Recipients, 2007 to 2012. Am J Med. 129:221.e21-30. 2016
25.Raji MA, Kuo YF, Adhikari D, Baillargeon J, Goodwin JS. Decline in opioid prescribing after federal rescheduling of hydrocodone products. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2018;27(5):513-519.
26. Kaushik V, Smith ST, Mikobi E, Raji MA. Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors: Beneficial Effects on Comorbidities in Patients With Alzheimer's Disease. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2018;33(2):73-85.
27. Goodwin JS, Kuo Y, Brown D, Juurlink D, Raji MA. Association of Chronic Opioid Use With Presidential Voting Patterns in US Counties in 2016. JAMA Network Open. 2018;1(2):e180450.