Insurance Requirements for Fall 2018 UTMB Students
and 1st Year Medical Students!
Students completing coursework at UTMB Galveston are required by the UT System Board of Regents to have continuous medical insurance policy compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Please note that you must request a waiver each semester, regardless of showing proof of coverage for the full academic year or prior semester.
The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP) meets the new requirements. Enrollment in UT SHIP is automatic each semester and the insurance premium is automatically charged to your tuition and fee account when you register for classes. No action is required to be enrolled in UT SHIP except to ensure that your contact email and mailing address are always current in MySTAR.
The UT System has established new criteria by which students can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant.
You may submit your electronic waiver beginning July 6, 2018 12:01 am and ending September 30, 2018 11:59 pm.
On-Line Waiver Process
If you have an alternate health insurance plan and you meet the waiver eligibility criteria, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the SHIP. The waiver deadline is September 30, 2018.
- Have an electronic copy of the front and back of your insurance card available.
- Go to https://www2.academichealthplans.com/school/178.html
- On the Login page, enter your 9-digit UTMB student ID number starting with leading zeros.
- Enter your birth date as the Password (format MMDDYYYY, example 01011990).
- Then on the next page, select the red waiver button from the “NO, I do not want the insurance.” Section.
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance card.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
If you have further questions or concerns, please email Student Accounts.