The Fire and Life Safety Program performs a wide variety of services for UTMB Health. These services run the gamut from traditional safety programs in the workplace to building construction code compliance consulting.
Fire and Life Safety performs the role of liaison to various local, state and national agencies. These agencies include the Texas State Fire Marshal's Office and The Joint Commission among others. In this liaison role, we host auditors, respond to any
recommendations and champion them to resolution. Additionally, we coordinate emergency response activities with the Galveston Fire Department (GFD) and have a very close cooperative relationship with the GFD.
The Program provides fire and Life Safety services throughout UTMB Health. Examples of services provided to the institution, employees, patients and visitors include:
- Management of the Life Safety chapter of The Joint Commission accreditation process
- Fire extinguisher inspection and maintenance
- Fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems inspections, testing and repair
- Comprehensive Life Safety/fire safety audits of facilities
- Fire safety drills and training
- Construction plans review for code compliance
- Construction project inspections for code compliance
- Local, Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ/Fire Marshal) services