Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The School of Health Professions is committed to enhancing diversity and equality in the student experience at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We believe that a diverse and inclusive educational environment enriches the education
of all students and enables us to leverage the rich perspectives, experiences, and talents of the full spectrum of groups in our society. We welcome all groups and seek to be fully inclusive concerning all forms of diversity—including race,
ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, geographic origin, and others.
The School's commitment is strengthened by motivated faculty members, dedicated administrative resources, and a welcoming community of students, scholars, healthcare professionals, and researchers. We address diversity, inclusion, and representation issues
through ongoing dialog with students and faculty members, partnerships with our community, and recruitment of faculty and students.
As the University of Texas Medical Branch, School of Health Professions strives to meet its mission of unlocking potential and preparing future healthcare professionals and leaders of the state, it embraces diversity in many forms. The university is dedicated
to attracting highly-qualified students, faculty, and staff with a wide range of backgrounds, ideas, and viewpoints.
José D. Rojas, PhD, RRT, RPFT, FAARC
Assistant Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – School of Health Professions
The SHP Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force (SHP DEI task force) is interested in exploring the level of cultural humility and competence in healthcare delivery in our school. In addition, we are interested in hearing any suggestions you have
to guide future DEI-related initiatives within SHP. Please, refer to our study information below for self-identification and participation:
- SHP faculty or
- SHP students who enrolled in the year 2020 or 2021
Research study title
Inter-professional Cultural Competence and Humility with a focus on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Students and faculty perceptions.
Electronic survey. The survey includes no more than 35 questions, and it is estimated to take 15-20 minutes to complete.
- Free (no cost to participate in this study).
- Amazon gift card drawing of 10 randomly selected participants.
- Assisting the SHP DEI task force to identify and understand the levels of cultural humility and competence among students and faculty of the school and provide suggestions on DEI-related activities within SHP.
- Minimal to no risk.
- Some participants may experience emotional discomfort when describing barriers experienced.
- Participants may refuse to answer any question that causes discomfort. In addition, UTMB offers services to faculty and students experiencing emotional distress. Participants may feel discomfort while attempting to access the survey if technical
difficulties occur or eye strain. This discomfort is minimal and is unlikely to cause undue harm. We suggest the participants take eye rests.
How to participate?
If you meet the eligibility criteria above, please, complete the brief survey before midnight on June 9, 2022.
Complete DEI Survey
If you have any questions about this study, please contact Adrianna L. Ellis at email@example.com.
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
The University of Texas Medical Branch, School of Health Professions is committed to recruiting and admitting a diverse class of highly qualified students. This includes applicants of all ethnicities, races, cultures, ages, gender, sexual identities,
religions, veteran status, and life experiences represented in the population of the State of Texas.
What is Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion?
Diversity is about representation. It is the collective mixture of human beings and their individual identities co-existing within a specific space. These identities must be considered holistically to include race, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion,
sex, disabilities, culture, and educational backgrounds.
Equity is about creating a space that promotes fairness for all regardless of their individual identities.
Inclusion is about creating a space where individuals feel they can bring their individual identities without judgment and can feel a sense of belonging and respect. Inclusion in the workplace provides opportunities for people of all identities to participate
and have an impact in a meaningful way.
SHP Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Taskforce
The taskforce is charged with:
- Identify ways to improve diverse representation in SHP Faculty and Staff from recruitment to the hiring process.
- Identify ways to remove inequities in the policies and procedures, and processes, and access to resources for SHP Faculty/Staff/Students associated with their roles and occupation. As well, revise all documents related to policies and procedures,
and formal and/or informal processes.
- Identify ways to allow for diverse opinions and perspectives to be expressed and incorporated for SHP Faculty/Staff/Students associated with their roles and occupation. As well, revise all verbal, visual, written material to allow for full access
and inclusion to all resources at SHP.
UTMB DEI Resources