2023-2024 Application Timeline
September 6, 2023
Registration opens at 9am ET, Residency applicants may begin submitting MyERAS applications to programs.
September 27, 2023
ERAS opens for program. Application deadline for applications to UTMB IM program.
October 9th - 13th, 2023:
Initial round of UTMB interview invitations sent out.
October 30th, November 1st, November 29th, December 7th, December 8th, 2023
IM/Ophthalmology Interview Days
October 19th, October 26th, November 9th, 2023; January 11th, 2024
Preliminary Medicine Interview Days
October 30, 2023 - January 10, 2024
IM Categorical interview season
February 28th, 2024
Rank Order List Deadline: Applicant/Program ROLs must be certified by 9:00 p.m. ET.
Applicants: Late registration/Match withdrawal deadline is 9:00 p.m. ET.
March 15, 2024
Residency Internship begins
Only electronic applications via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) are
accepted for Internal Medicine residency positions. We do not accept any applications that are mailed or faxed to our office.
U.S. medical students should contact their Dean’s Office for access to the ERAS system. IMG’s must apply for residency through ERAS by contacting the ECFMG.
We do NOT offer any pre-match positions.
Required Application Documents
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Applicants must provide a letter of recommendation from the Chair (or designee) of your Department of Medicine, official transcript, and at least two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from an internist. The letters need to state
that the writer has directly observed the applicant. The letters must also address clinical competency and medical knowledge. *Applicants to the preliminary medicine program should have at least one letter of recommendation from an Internal Medicine or Family Medicine faculty.
- USMLE Step 1 Score or COMLEX 1
- Must have passed Step 2 CS and CK or COMLEX 2 prior to rank list submission
- For International Graduates, copy of your ECFMG certificate, if available.
- To be considered for selection, eligible candidates must be either a US citizen, seek a J-1 visa, or have permanent resident status (green card).
All R-1 positions for the Internal Medicine Residency Program are selected through The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The UTMB Internal Medicine NRMP numbers for Match participation are:
- Categorical Track (NRMP #1714140C0)
- Preliminary Medicine Program (NRMP #1714140P0)
- Combined Internal Medicine-Aerospace (NRMP #1714751C0) 4 year combined Internal Medicine and Preventive Medicine/Aerospace training
- Combined Internal Medicine – Ophthalmology Program (NRMP #1714140P4) 5 year combined Internal Medicine and Ophthalmology training
Combined IM-Ophthalmology applicants’ interview with both programs on the same interview day. Each SF matched applicant must rank
our program via NRMP to secure their slot.
Our internal medicine residency program is committed to recruiting, supporting, and retaining outstanding residents of diverse ethnic, sexual orientation, religious, and racial backgrounds. We use a multi-criteria-based selection process; therefore, we do not provide minimum score requirements nor do we have a medical school graduation year requirement. We accept J-1 ECFMG certified visas only.
Observerships/Externships are not provided in our Department.