2022-2023 Application Timeline
** For the 2023 ERAS cycle, our program will be participating in the ERAS Supplemental application. For additional information click here. **
August 1, 2022
Supplemental ERAS application opens for applicants.
September 7, 2022
Registration opens at 9am ET
Applicants register for the Main Residency Match.
September 16, 2022
Supplemental ERAS application closes.
September 28, 2022
ERAS opens for program. Application deadline for applications to UTMB IM program.
October 10th - 14th, 2022:
Initial round of UTMB interview invitations sent out.
November 2nd, November 15th, November 29th, December 2nd, December 6th, 2022
IM/Ophthalmology Interview Days
October 20th, October 25th, October 27th, November 3, 2022
Preliminary Interview Days
November 1, 2022 - January 19, 2023
IM Categorical interview season
March 1, 2023
Rank Order List Deadline: Applicant/Program ROLs must be certified by 9:00 p.m. ET.
Applicants: Late registration/Match withdrawal deadline is 9:00 p.m. ET.
March 17, 2023
Residency Internship begins
Only electronic applications via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) are
accepted for Internal Medicine residency positions. The ERAS supplemental application is highly encouraged this year. We do not accept any applications that are mailed or faxed to our office.
U.S. medical students should contact their Dean’s Office for access to the ERAS system. IMG’s must apply for residency through ERAS by contacting the ECFMG.
We do NOT offer any pre-match positions.
Required Application Documents
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Applicants must provide a letter of recommendation from the Chair (or designee) of your Department of Medicine, official transcript, and at least two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from an internist. The letters need to state
that the writer has directly observed the applicant. The letters must also address clinical competency and medical knowledge. *Applicants to the preliminary medicine program should have at least one letter of recommendation from an Internal Medicine or Family Medicine faculty.
- USMLE Step 1 Score or COMLEX 1
- Must have passed Step 2 CS and CK or COMLEX 2 prior to rank list submission
- For International Graduates, copy of your ECFMG certificate, if available.
- To be considered for selection, eligible candidates must be either a US citizen, seek a J-1 visa, or have permanent resident status (green card).
All R-1 positions for the Internal Medicine Residency Program are selected through The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The UTMB Internal Medicine NRMP numbers
for Match participation are:
- Categorical Track (NRMP #1714140C0)
- Preliminary Medicine Program (NRMP #1714140P0)
- Combined Internal Medicine-Aerospace (NRMP #1714751C0) 4 year combined Internal Medicine and Preventive Medicine/Aerospace training
- Combined Internal Medicine – Ophthalmology Program (NRMP #1714140P4) 5 year combined Internal Medicine and Ophthalmology training
Combined IM-Ophthalmology applicants’ interview with both programs on the same interview day. Each SF matched applicant must rank
our program via NRMP to secure their slot.
We use a multi-criteria-based selection process; therefore, we do not provide minimum score requirements nor do we have a medical school graduation year requirement. We accept J-1 ECFMG certified visas only.
Observerships/Externships are not provided in our Department.