Compensation and Benefits
- The professional allowance is currently $1,200.00 per annum. This may be used for books, travel to professional meetings, and other educational purposes. Funds for scientific pathology meetings are provided separately by the department if the resident is presenting research projects at national or regional meetings. The department also sponsors residents to attend local and national meetings hosted in Texas.
Additional Learning Resources
- Multiple pathology textbooks available for use at any time for work/self-study
- Subscription to ExpertPath, ImmunoQuery, and PathPrimer
- Multiple digital and glass teaching slide sets available for use at any time for work/self-study
- Comprehensive UTMB-specific grossing manual
- Weekly teleconference lecture with Methodist Hospital Pathology Residency and MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Each resident is issued a personal laptop to be used for the duration of training.
- Each resident is provided his/her own desk with lockable drawers in our residents' workroom.
- The residents' workroom includes a kitchenette with full-sized refrigerator, two microwaves, and a Keurig coffee machine.
- Spacious and well-lit autopsy suite.
- Individual grossing bays and microscopes in Surgical Pathology.
- Many multi-headed microscopes throughout the department for slide conferences and educational sessions, with TV-screen projection capability
- Throughout the year, we have multiple resident get-togethers/social events, including a Beach Welcome Party in July.
- Monthly resident wellness lectures by our program director.
- Discounted membership to UTMB's Alumni Fieldhouse gym facility, which includes weight lifting machines, free weights, aerobic exercise equipment, a heated pool, a basketball court, and exercise classes.