The Division of Hematopathology in the Department of Pathology UTMB
is a multifaceted division providing a wide range of clinical
hematology laboratory services, including major sections of
morphology, automation, coagulation, hemoglobin electrophoresis, flow
cytometry, and special hematology. The division is staffed with 18
medical technologists and performs approximately 400,000 tests annually.
You-Wen Qian MD, PhD
Tarek Elghetany MD
Jyotinder Punia, MD
- Bone marrow pathology (morphology, immunohistochemistry, and cytochemistry).
- Lymph node and solid organ lymphoid lesions.
- Peripheral blood Diff consultation and morphology review.
- Body fluid cell counts and morphology review.
- Hemoglobinopathy evaluation (Sickledex, HPLC, gel electrophoresis, IEF,
and hemoglobin A1C).
- Multiparameter flow cytometry immunophenotyping for hematopoietic malignancies and T/B/NK cell count.
- Automated CBC and differential count, automated reticulocyte
counting, IPF (immature platelet fraction) and IRF (immature
reticulocytes fraction) as well
as Ret-HE (reticulocyte hemoglobin content) .
- Routine and specialized coagulation testing (PT, PTT, PTT-LA,
thrombin time, fibrinogen, d-dimer, FDP, DRVVT, AT-III, reptilase,
platelet aggregation, factor assay, APCR, anti-Xa heparin assay,
factor VIII inhibitor Bethesda unit assay, inhibitor screening,
hexagonal lupus anticoagulant, etc.).
- G6PD screening.
You-Wen Qian, MD, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology
Director, Laboratory Information Systems
Office: (409) 772-2846
Fax: (409) 747-0628