To remain in compliance with the rules set forth in 13 TAC 6.3, UTMB is required to certify their Records Retention Schedule with the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) every 5 years. This certification process involves a thorough review of every department's retention schedule to ensure the following:
- All records listed on a department schedule still apply to that department.
- Departments have not closed or merged with another department.
- If a new department is opened, a comprehensive retention schedule has been created to account for all of the records the department creates or receives.
- The applicable policies, rules, or laws have not changed the retention requirements.
- The descriptions listed for each record category still correctly explain what that category includes.
- A department has started or stopped storing records at the University Records Center.
Because there are so many departments at UTMB, preparing to submit the UTMB Retention Schedule can take up to a year prior to the certification due date. Currently we are working to prepare our Retention Schedule for the January 2020 due date.
Once the Records Retention Schedule has been submitted to TSLAC for review, it can take anywhere from 1 month to 1 year to approve. Upon approval, Records Management will inform the Department Records Coordinators (DRC) and distribute the new approved Records Retention Schedule to them.
Amendments to the schedule can be submitted through the same process throughout the 5 year certification cycle. If you ever need to make an adjustment to your department's Records Retention Schedule, contact Records Management to discuss those changes.