Children's Health Service Neonatology
Division Director: C. Joan Richardson MD
We provide clinical care in a Level IV neonatal intensive care unit which admits approximately 900 babies per year. The 43 bed unit provides the acute and semi-acute care for moderate and critically ill newborns, including:
- ECMO and
- integrated subspecialty and
- surgical care for complex congenital conditions.
We provide care of normal newborns born at UTMB as well as newborns born at a near-by community hospital which has a Level II nursery. In total, we care for about 6000 deliveries per year.
- We also provide follow-up care for high-risk infant out-patient visits for graduates of the NICU and
- a Perinatal Hospice Program for infants with severe medical conditions impacting long-term survival.
- We are very active in education, including third-year
medical student and resident rotations in the newborn nursery, the
neonatal ICU, fourth year medical student internships and active
- We have Fellowship Training Programs and
- Residency Education Programs.
- Our research is focused on sudden infant death syndrome, perinatal epidemiology, neonatal lung injury, neonatal infections, intrauterine asphyxia, necrotizing enterocolitis, and neonatal nutrition.
FOR APPOINTMENTS, REFILLS OR QUESTIONS - CALL 888-886-2543