Children's Health Service Complex Care
Children's Complex Care
Director: Christine Murphy MD
Your child has been referred to the Pediatric Complex Care Clinic at UTMB. We want to welcome you and introduce you to our clinic.
Our team of doctors and therapists will assess your child’s growth and development. If needed, our clinic has a nurse practitioner, a nutritionist, a school teacher, and a social worker available to help families ensure children reach their maximum potential. During your visit, our team will form a plan with you and your child to address any problems identified, including a referral to outside therapy services if needed. We also may suggest your child be seen by other specialized doctors if needed.
What you should expect for your first visit
Please plan for the appointment to last about 2 hours or more depending on the reason for the visit. Your child will be evaluated by several different people during his or her first visit with us so we can get a complete picture of your child’s and your family’s needs. Although we try to make the appointments back-to-back families often have a short wait in between evaluations. All members of your child’s team discuss their findings after each evaluation and make changes to the plan to best suit your child and your family’s needs. Depending on how many people need to see your child again, follow-up appointments may last from 1-2 hours.
What we need from you
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to get all paperwork completed and your child checked-in.
- For each appointment, please bring a bag with all of your child’s medications in their correct bottles.
- Please bring names and telephone numbers of all important medical people involved with your child. This includes your child’s pediatrician, and any nursing or supply companies your family uses.
- Please be sure to bring enough supplies to last the duration of the 2-hour appointment. This includes diapers and wipes, formula and/or snacks, and a few favorite toys to keep your child busy in between evaluations.
- If you or your doctor has concerns about your child’s weight gain or eating, please bring his or her favorite bottle, sippy cup, spoon, foods and formula or milk.
- If your visit is for Seating Clinic to discuss wheelchair needs, please bring both your child and his or her device to all appointments.
FOR QUESTIONS before your appointment, Please CALL 409-772-2331