Children's Health Service Infectious Disease
Director: Janak Patel MD
Travel Medicine Clinic
The Pediatric Specialty Clinics at UTMB offer Travel Medicine consultations for children and adults who plan to travel to areas of high risk, this includes all countries in the tropics and other underdeveloped countries or rapidly developing countries such as China, Brazil, India and Mexico. This also includes possible participation in high risk activities, including mountain climbing, diving and trekking. It is best if we see you 4-6 weeks before your trip. At your consultation, you can expect to receive:
- Extensive counseling on health precautions during foreign travel
- Country-specific written brochures
- Administration of appropriate preventive vaccines
- Pharmacy prescriptions for prevention and treatment of travel-related diseases
- Hepatitis A and B, typhoid, tetanus, Yellow Fever, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, and more..
Patients can call to discuss the travel itinerary and to obtain cost estimates
- Charges include the costs to consult with the infectious disease specialist and to receive vaccines
- All charges require immediate payment by cash, credit card or check
- An estimate will be given about the costs when the appointment is scheduled
FOR APPOINTMENTS, TO REFER PATIENTS, OR QUESTIONS - CALL 409-772-2798
For the best results, we recommend you visit us at least 4 weeks prior to departure, however, we are flexible and can accommodate earlier travel dates.
Travel Clinic Hours: Wednesday 1:00 - 4:30