Dr. Amber HairfieldAmber Hairfield DO
Program Director
Chair, Grad. Med. Ed. Comm.
Rodriguez-LienAlisha Adhikari MD
Chief Resident
Humphrey, Christy05Christy L. Humphrey
Resident Program Manager
(409) 772-1398

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I apply to the Residency Program? 
You can read about the application process at the Application, Procedures and Requirements page.

How many residents are accepted per year? 
UTMB accepts 14 first-year pediatric residents each year through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).

How much are UTMB Pediatric residents paid in their first year of residency? 
Current monthly and annual salary rates for residents are available at the UTMB Graduate Medical Education Web site.

What insurance is provided and what is offered to residents? 
Residents receive the same health insurance coverage as any UTMB employee (See the UTMB Benefits Web site), plus an additional subsidy from the House-staff Office for out-of-pocket expenses not included in the premiums (for example, family member’s coverage).

Do residents receive vacation time? 
Residents get 21 days of vacation per year (including 5 days at Christmas or New Year's).

How much sick leave do residents receive? 
Starting with the first day of employment, residents accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month of employment.

Is there a fee for parking? 
Residents receive a discounted monthly parking fee.

Are lab coats provided for the residents? 
Yes. Residents only receive 1 lab coat per year.

Are there any special requirements for international medical graduates? 
Yes. By June 15th of the application year, international applicants should have a completed ECFMG certificate and a CSA certificate where appropriate and must have graduated from medical school within 3 years of application for residency UNLESS enrolled in an ACGME accredited training program or in the US military.

What visas are provided through UTMB? 
The Department of Pediatrics accepts J-1 visas. More information and required forms are available at the UTMB International Affairs Web site.