MembershipJohn P. McGovern Academy of Oslerian Medicine
Faculty Scholars are nominated when a call for nominations is made by the president of the University. Nominations can be submitted by students, housestaff, faculty or staff.
Nominees must meet the following qualifications:
- full-time faculty members of the UTMB School of Medicine at the time of selection,
- have an M.D. or D.O. degree (or equivalent)
- have obtained the rank of assistant professor or above,
- hold major responsibilities in teaching and patient care, and
- model humanistic and compassionate care to patients, students, and colleagues
- each Osler Scholar, upon accepting the designation, will agree to devote time to learning about Osler together with the other scholars
For more information about the current Faculty Scholars, please visit the faculty scholars page.
The McGovern Academy includes 12 Osler Student Scholars, UTMB second-, third- and fourth-year medical students chosen for their demonstrated commitment to compassionate care. In addition to receiving the support of $10,000 a year for the duration of their medical school careers, Student Scholars undertake individual and group service learning projects. Among their activities is selecting recipients of the Thayer Award. Named for Osler's chief resident at Johns Hopkins, William S. Thayer, this honor recognizes house staff who exemplify Oslerian ideals. For more information about the current Student Scholars, please visit the Student Scholars page.