The Thayer Award for Excellence in TeachingJohn P. McGovern Academy of Oslerian Medicine
The Thayer Award is given to a resident or fellow who demonstrates
sound scientific knowledge, compassion towards patients, and dedication
to learning and teaching. Candidates can be nominated by any medical
student or faculty by contacting an Osler Student Scholar.
Traditionally, nine (9) residents/fellows are selected per annum by
the Osler Student Scholars. The recipient’s Residency Director and Chair
will be notified of their achievement. He or she will be congratulated and presented with an award check during their respective Departmental Grand Rounds.
William S. Thayer, M.D.
William S. Thayer was born in Milton, Massachusetts and received his B.A. in 1885, and his M.D. in 1889, both from Harvard University. After a year of study at the universities of Berlin and Vienna, he came to the Johns Hopkins Hospital where he became William Osler's first resident. Thayer joined the faculty of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1896 as an associate professor of medicine and served as head of the Johns Hopkins Hospital medical clinic from 1898 until 1905, when be became professor of clinical medicine.
In 1917, Thayer was offered the directorship of the department of
medicine, but because of his distinguished service as chief medical
consultant to the American Expeditionary Forces in France, his
appointment was delayed until 1919. Upon his retirement in 1921, he was
named professor emeritus. Thayer's research interests included a number
of infectious and cardiovascular diseases, especially bacterial
endocarditis. His academic contributions include organizing the first
course in clinical microscopy for the medical school.
- Dr. Luke Fletcher - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Jennifer L. Den - Department of General Surgery
- Dr. Josephine C. Novak - Department of Psychiatry
- Dr. Jenna D. Reisler - Department of Internal Medicine
- Dr. Arlen Suarez Ares - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Sara S. Ali - Department of Pediatrics
- Dr. Anna K. Archbold - Department of Internal Medicine
- Dr. Carole E. Barake - Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Claire B. Cummins - Department of General Surgery
- Dr. Preston D'Souza - Department of Neurosurgery
- Dr. Max I. Galvan - Department of Psychiatry
- Dr. Justin A. Koceja - Department of Otolaryngology
- Dr. Camila Narvaez-Calcedo - Department of Neurology
- Dr. Virginia B. Neese - Department of Plastic Surgery
- Dr. Emily Williams - Department of Dermatology